Return to Website

The Prescotian Schooldays Forum

The Schooldays Forum assists the PRESCOTIAN WEBZINE with its collection of memories

and views of life at the Prescot Schools. Please respect the laws of libel......

The Prescotian Schooldays Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paula Radcliffe....well done again (NOT)

For the second time, I find myself writing and fuming about Paula Radcliffe since, yet again, she has let us down. Her claims that she "was not ready" for the World Champioships in Berlin sound suspect and hollow when we remind ourselves that she won the New York Marathon last week.....couldn't have something to do with the fact that the winners in New York won a brand new Mercedes and several thousand dollars could it ? She was ready for that !

Re: Paula Radcliffe....well done again (NOT)

Actually, she won the New York half marathon the week before the World Championships. Bit of a difference running in that and a full marathon against athletes honed for the competition. If you "fume" about Paula, better avoid anything a bit more serious, you may pop something.

There's always room for a touch of the pedantics. Are you actually saying that it was a good idea for PR to run in a half-marathon yet not to run in a marathon ? You imply that PR was the only athlete "honed for the competition" of the half-marathon; that's dreadfully dismissive of the capabilities of the other competitors - TBH, if the other runners were not "honed" I wouldn't mind having a go, what with such a prize pot waiting. Trouble is, with PR its clearly Paula first, nation second

I'm just suggesting that PR would have found it easier to run 13 miles rather than 26 miles after her injury. Plus the truly World class athletes were running in the World Championships, not the New York Half Marathon. If she had any doubts about her fitness, then the easier New York half marathon was indeed the sensible option.

And Chemmy Allcott looks like becoming the Paula Radcliffe of women's skiing.

Did Paula attend PGS? - I thought this was a PGS forum but rarely read any threads with a connection.

Here we go again; Paula Radcliffe letting a nation down just in time for the Olympics.

Is she any relation to Daniel Radcliffe? At least his alter-ego went to a school that had four houses competing against each other and you could say it was magic to attend. Just like PGS !