Return to Website

The Prescotian Schooldays Forum

The Schooldays Forum assists the PRESCOTIAN WEBZINE with its collection of memories

and views of life at the Prescot Schools. Please respect the laws of libel......

Forum: The Prescotian Schooldays Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Music & Memories

Just flicking through some old 70s stuff and found Teenage Lament by Alice Cooper. Instantly transported back to walking the corridors of PGS.

Re: Music & Memories

Yeah, I remember it well. Teenage Lament '74 to give it it's proper title, backed with Hard Hearted Alice and taken from the album Muscle of Love. His last album with his original band before he sacked 'em all later that year. I think the album came in a cardboard box at the time. I still love listening to the albums Killer, Billion $ Babies and School's Out. Any more Alice Freaks out there?

There are still certain records or bands that remind me of lads I was at PGS with. "On the Border" by the Eagles for example (Ross Thomson). I think he was the only one listening to them at the time apart from myself. "Led Zep vol.2" (Bernie Rodgers & Geoff Smale). Heard the album for the 1st time in Geoff's house in Rainhill and was blown away by it. They went to see the band at the Empire in Jan'73. I had to wait until Earls Court'75. "Fire" by the Ohio Players (Les Jones & Nicky Williams) two funk-soul brothers! "Uriah Heep Live" (Nigel Roberts) he let me borrow the album as well as introducing me to the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. "Fox on the Run" by Sweet (David Tickle) probably the only Sweet fan in the whole school! Groundhogs and Mahavishnu Orchestra (Peter Quickfall & David Treble) they are the types of LPs they traded with each other.

Dave Treble a bit of a trogg as I remember. Went to school with his brother Richard and auntie Judith!

My very first experience of watching a full orchestra was all down to PGS. Joe Kirk took us down to the Philharmonic to see them perform Elgar's "Enigma Variations". No we didn't pop into the alehouse over the road for a bevvy and a look at the famous Gents! It did plant a little seed though and although I'm not a huge fan of classical music I do have my favourites and go and watch Sir Simon Rattle (a scouser no less!) perform with his "band" here in Berlin once in a while.

Fuzz, I went to AC/DC's first ever tour of the UK, which was sponsored by "Sounds", and where punters were encouraged to dress like Angus Young, for a competitiuon for best schollkids. So I wore my PGS cap and tie, and got through to the last 5, but failed to reach the final, which I think was at Hammersmith Odeon. My runner up prize was a copy of Muscle of Love, in the cardboard sleeve.

I still have it.

And the cap!

Proof of which is that the picture you see, taken at a reunion, of two PGS lads, one wearing a cap and sipping a pint..............is me.

Ste

Good photo Ste! When and where was that particular AC/DC gig? Was it at the Stadium? And were you wearing short trousers like Angus? !!! I saw them at the Reading festival in 1976. The end of that long, hot summer and of course just as Reading came around it poured down for most of the weekend. A few years later I was working with a girl who was AC/DC mad and she was really envious that I'd seen them with Bon Scott as the singer. (He'd drunk himself to death early 1980). Hey, I think I'll go and play "Whole Lotta Rosie" right now and turn the volume up to 11.

Dave Treble worked on the first Half Man Half Biscuit lp and played with Crikey it's the Cromptons in the late 80s.

Half Man Half Biscuit: Four lads who shook the Wirral! Legends in their own lifetime (well they would have been if they had reached the TV studios more often instead of going to watch Tranmere). A band who have had fantastic titles for their songs, probably only bettered by the great Frank Zappa. Nice to know that they're still going after a dozen albums. Sadly, I've only got four.

As we are still in the middle of winter I'd just like to remind you guys "Don't eat the yellow snow!" You know it makes sense.

As far as I know Norman Greenbaum was a one hit wonder with his song "Spirit in the sky". Every time I hear it though I think of a particular morning at PGS. We were sitting in the Spencer Brigg's Hall having morning assembly when one of the teachers gave a short sermon (I think it was Mr Webster) and then put on a record for us to listen to. Then came that lovely guitar riff followed by the words "When I die and they lay me to rest, gonna go to the place that's the best...." A short moment in time from a long time ago but it's stayed with me ever since!

It's amazing how music and memories go hand in hand with each other. Dave Treble had a girlfriend called Sue Edge (her brother Dave went to PGS). I remember being with them on Preckie Rec and she said to me "What,you haven't heard "Warrior on the Edge of Time yet?" So she let me borrow it. She had it easy as she worked on the record counter in Woolies, Eccleston St. Her brother Dave had a mate called Luke, also a PGS lad, who I remember pushed me into the River Thames at the Reading Festival. We both had a laugh about that. It was just a pity that I was holding half a bottle of vodka at the time. They both had a mate called Nozzer, yet another PGS lad, who is now friendly with a mate of mine in Prescot (Kevin Brown, not of PGS but SFX!). Kevin later went out with Sue Edge. I got to thinking about Sue and Hawkwind this week as I went to see The Hawklords (Nik Turner's latest project for his space-rock). There I met a fella called Dave Roberts working on the merchandise stand who is a mate of "Tosh", ex-PGS lad who runs the Liverpool Stadium website!

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Email Forms   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains