Return to Website

The Prescotian Schooldays Forum

The Schooldays Forum assists the PRESCOTIAN WEBZINE with its collection of memories

and views of life at the Prescot Schools. Please respect the laws of libel......

Forum: The Prescotian Schooldays Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Joe Kirk

I’ve enjoyed happy memories looking through the web site.
Mr Mason, our chemistry teacher, was known as Neddie.
Our music teacher was Edward Joseph Fielding Kirk (Joe). A couple of the lads used to see him outside school, I think to play golf. He insisted they called him Ted; he hated the name Joe. He was the only teacher to recognise my abilities. I was very quickly promoted (that may not be the correct word) to the groaners. Whilst the rest of the class sang sea shanties, and the like, we were sworn to absolute silence.
He was a real character, with an obsession with the colour green. His clothing was all green, as were his pens, and even the frames of his glasses. He carried an old leather attaché case in which he kept ‘the slipper’. In fact it was a soft gym shoe, but it was always known as the slipper. Punishment involved the miscreant bending over in front of the class and being belted on the backside with it. It was known as being slippered. One of the class, I think called Haralambos, must have been the original dead-end kid. The slipper never had any obvious effect on him. Eventually Joe had to devise a new punishment, just for him. Joe would grab the hairs on the side of Haralambos’s face, in front of his ears, and pull them until the miserable wretch was hopping and yelping with pain. Punishment administered, and entertainment for the rest of the class. In those far off days this treatment was considered perfectly acceptable and in not at all unreasonable.

Email  
Re: Joe Kirk

E Fielding Kirk was called Joe (Ted to his colleagues) even though it wasn't one of his official names.

I was led to believe E Fielding Kirk was nicknamed Joe due to his likeness to liberal leader Jo Grimond. The teachers in the sixties didn't have any problems with class control , corporal punishment worked for me , I was terrified of all the PGS teachers.

He was my form tutor from 1968-1973. From the third year to fifth we had the Music Room (38?) as "our" room. My recollection is that he took victims into the back room for a beating rather than public humiliation. His other favourite punishment was 30 lines "all different" which needed much more thought and effort. He also seemed receptive to pop music as long as it was not "Something's Burning" by Kenny Rogers & the First Edition which he found rude.

Yes Andrew, I also remember Joe taking boys into the back room that was full of musical paraphenalia for a spanking. As you rightly say he also had open ears for pop and rock music of the time. I recall him playing "Tubular Bells" and "Echoes" for us.

Certainly a character - but would be arrested nowadays for his behaviour! - once smacked me across the face with his slipper when I was 12 and again on the backside for not having my hymn book. Just a bully and why did he shower with pupils?

Quote: Brian Deakin
Certainly a character - but would be arrested nowadays for his behaviour! - once smacked me across the face with his slipper when I was 12 and again on the backside for not having my hymn book. Just a bully and why did he shower with pupils?

He was indeed a bully

Joe wasn't the only one to bully - remember a certain physics master who gave us electric shocks as punishment (hold these 2 electrodes while I turn up the current!) David Brown, Tony Hazzard, David bridges and myself were the only 4 who took GCE music in my year. There were cardinal rules to be followed in composing - some more important than others - with more severe penalties for none compliance (no. of whacks with that slipper!). Just for amusement - in some holidays - I composed a new hymn tune to 'Brightest and best are the sons of the morning'. Joe played it to our little group. All were delighted to hear the sound (to my amazement. He then marked it - and awarded me 14 whacks - which he fully intended to administer - despite my protests that it was not homework. It was the only occasion that I know of when a pupil was let off with a verbal reprimand.

Email  

I was at PGS from 1958 to 1962 & received both of these forms of punishment regularly from Kirk. He is lucky I never met up with him in later years! All this from someone who has always loved classical music & was in pop groups. I never let him see how hurt I was, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction (he probably got that from being in the showers)so he simply chastised me more & more to try to break me down - he never managed that! He is a sad sadistic c*nt.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting