Return to Website

The Prescotian Schooldays Forum

The Schooldays Forum assists the PRESCOTIAN WEBZINE with its collection of memories

and views of life at the Prescot Schools. Please respect the laws of libel......

The Prescotian Schooldays Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ghost Town ?

I've read various reports recently about Prescot becoming a ghost town. Obviously the big employers for local people moved out years ago (BICC and Tinlings for example) but it seems the life and soul of the town is now disappearing with shops standing empty, pubs closing down, and the library and museum being threatened with closure due to local government austerity measures. I used to walk to school along Ecclestone St in the 1970's and it was a thriving commercial centre and remember my parents doing their shopping in half a dozen small shops rather than the one huge supermarket of today. This created a feeling of community spirit as they'd have a chat with everyone they met along the way. It's probably the same in a lot of other places too but what's the solution?

Re: Ghost Town ?

Like most places, the main street has had it, all the action is at the Cables Retail Park, so pop into the Costa at the Tesco (everything is the .. something now-a-days)and have a cappuccino and enjoy the new Prescot.

Oh, Norway.
Me, I'd rather we went neckin' some cordial in The Plough.
Then a split before we split. Catch the erch foower by the bee eye. Last orders in the Comm.
Then a leet nert run down ol' 'Allies.
Early brekky of Corn Craps.
Aye, we used knor 'ow t' enjoy oursells.

Looks like there's internet access in the Scott Clinic, there!

I'd start at Hector Stanley's in Kemble St buying blackjacks and fruitsalads (4 for a penny), get a few gobstoppers and flying saucers too. Up the back entry to Ecclestone St coming out by Lennons and down to Simple John's for a quarter of bitter lemons, an Aztec bar and a Marathon. A couple of doors away, into the cake shop for half a pound of broken biscuits, hoping for the chocolate ones. Then into the off-license next door for a bottle of sweet bubbly Cidrax to wash it all down with. Aaah, my dentist loved me!

I think Prescot is a sleeping giant just needing a big kick to wake up. There are endless opportunities for investment if people would just get up and make an effort. There are enough empty sites around the town and with good links such as rail, major roads and a motorway it shouldn't be difficult to get visitors in. Service industries abound these days and we all love to eat and drink. Promote the pubs and get a "route march" going like Tetleys organised in the 1970s so each and every pub is visited. For families and kids, facilities such as adventure playgrounds, bowling bars, theme cafes etc could be on offer. Prescot also has green countryside on it's doorstep. How about nature trails, sports clubs, a campsite that would also service international visitors to Liverpool. The sky's the limit! In the town centre should be a market selling fresh produce a couple of times a week including unusual stuff you don't get at the supermarket. At the weekend a fleamarket (more attractive than a car boot sale) could be set up. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Once Prescot is attractive again it will have a snowball effect and pull more punters into town. The annual Prescot Festival of the arts is a step in the right direction and even more should be made of Prescot's history (ancient church, William Shakespeare, Edward Lear etc). So, who's got some money and wants to make the first step?

I think Prescot's pubs get visits from tourists from Huyton now that most of Huyton's pubs have been demolished.

and there they will observe that the interiors of the Prescot pubs have been demolished