5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Daryl Cameron (5pl Bcoy 5RAR)

G'day,

Dad has never really talked about Vietnam, so I've never asked. Instead, I've recently taken to trolling the net an absolute ****-load, trying to get an idea of what went on over there. Luckily I found the 5rar site, which has been brilliant in unlocking some secrets.

From the information I've sifted through a picture of dad's tour is coming to light. In short - scared, wet, smelly and tired. I have a feeling he was stationed in Vietnam at the time of the battle of Binh Bah. If so he should have been in the platoon that assisted D coy with their final sweep of the village on the second day of that battle . I think his CO was 2nd Lt Barry Ryan. Any info I do have is really stitched together, so If anyone does happen to remember him... any memories or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, even the less then savory ones (he can be a cheeky ***** sometimes)

The search for info is purely selfish and personal on my part, but so far it has been a brilliant purging exercise which I have found immensely therapeutic

My Father is a man who is aged beyond his years, he likes a drink or ten, exists on a TPI pension and was recently diagnosed with Cancer (a set of circumstances that may sound eerily familiar to some of you) and as a result my family has had some heavy times over the last 30 years. Nevertheless, we all adore him.

Alex Cameron