5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
D Coy 5 RAR Emblem

Hi, Im currently serving with D Coy 5 RAR in East Timor and was discussing what the actual original emblem of D Coy was, especially the vietnam era. over the last 7-8 years it has changed from the character of The Phantom to the Grim Reaper, but we have heard that it used to be the Tasmanian Devil. If anyone has any info can they please email me at mattyrhodes80@hotmail.com. it would be great to finally find out what it is so we can bring back a bit of history to the company.

cheers

Matty Rhodes

Re: D Coy 5 RAR Emblem

I've sent an Email to you to do with a sign we had for D Coy in 1969.

A picture of the sign with Andy Capp and a upside down boomerang with the "DYMAMIC D"written on it has now been sent.Anyone who might know anything about it could email Matthew as the diggers would get a great kick out of it he said.Kev.

I don't know if Andy Capp and the "DYMAMIC D" were the D Coy symbols but both were certainly displayed on the D Company boozer sign. A picture of the D Company boozer sign will be in the revised edition of "The Year of the Tigers" when it is published (soon?).

All the best,
Dave

No the sign wasn't a symbol of Delta Coy as I came across background info on the War Memmorial site.
The sign was owned by 1RAR and painted by a digger named Max,a National Servicemen,who was a commercial Arist and that was in 1968.The 5 Battalion arrived in Feb 1969.When I compare them,I can see the 1 was painted over by a 5.The in Exile means that Delta Coy was camped away from battalion lines,probably on the lower part of SAS hill where Delta Coy 5RAR came across it and put it to good use.All the best Kev