5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Muswellbrook Memorial

Just wondering if people are aware that a new memorial will be unveiled in Muswellbrook on Dec 6 and wondering if anyone is going to be there? I am the niece of Peter "Jacko" Jackson who was killed 15/6/1969.

Re: Muswellbrook Memorial

Hi Donna,
I was visiting Bowral last weekend for a birthday celebration and read about the new Vietnam memorial in the Sunday paper. My initial reaction was "why don't they tell next of kin about these memorials" and was deep in thought about this whilst approaching Bowral when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a sign "Vietnam Memorial".
I stopped and was immediately taken back to the road to Nui Dat and the two lonely gate posts guarding the entrance to the once was ATF.(I visited Vietnam 4 years ago). There beside the highway at Bowral are two granite columns guarding a footpath lined with cherry trees. These lead you to the most beautiful memorial I have ever seen. Set in four magnificent black granite columns with gold writing are the names of the Vietnam dead, in alphabetical order. It is so peaceful and serene and such thought has gone into the positioning and design of the memorial I immediately sought further information as to who had had the foresight to build such a beautiful memorial.
The Bowral Vietnam Memorial Walk Trust c/- Wingercarribee Shire Council are responsible and have my heart felt thanks for honouring my late husbands' memory in such a beautiful way.
I hope the Muswellbrook Memorial openning ceremony is well attended and look forward to seeing it one day soon.
Thank you to all these committtees around the country who are working so hard to honour the Vietnam fallen, the Walker family appreciate it.
Love and Best Wishes to All for Christmas and 2009 from Jenny Walker.