5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Revised edition The Year of the Tigers'

Gentlemen

David Wilkins has informed me that the 3rd edition should be on sale to the general public and for members through the association in January 2009. There are an additional 124 pages. For details on what's been added Go to the notice board for full details. It will also be listed when available on the Memorabilia page

Re: Revised edition The Year of the Tigers'

I have been advised by the publisher of the 3rd edition of the book that the publication date has been delayed. When more detailed information is available a further notice will be posted on this website (Ed).

An update-
The revised (third) edition of 5RAR’s history of its 2nd tour of South Vietnam, “The Year of The Tigers”, is currently with the publishers and it is hoped we will see the book finalised and available BY THE END OF APRIL 2009.
The book will increase in size to a total of about 400 pages which includes an additional 250 photographs. As well, some new information is included about our involvement in the War (eg, bunker systems, land clearing, pacification in Dat Do, mine incidents, the Tracker Platoon, Assault Pioneer Platoon, MAT teams etc). The background history to the war has been updated and citations for those who were mentioned in dispatches are included, as well as the updating of the battalion’s honours and awards. Maps and schematics for the Battle of Binh Ba (Operation Hammer) and for Operation Tong (in Hoa Long) are included. To the best of my ability (from conflicting data) I have corrected the nominal roll. An index is now included.
I will keep you informed.

I am informed by the publisher that the printers have not crossed the start-line yet and indeed, are not even formed up in the FUP.
The upshot is that we are now likely to see the 3rd edition of “The Year of The Tigers” (2009) available at the end of May, and therefore hopefully in time for the Battle of Binh Ba commemorations in June.

Clearly we didn’t make publication of the book by the date for the 40th anniversary of the Battle of Binh Ba, as hoped.
However, some earlier hiccups have now been sorted out, and I am informed that the printing process has commenced (preparation of the plates prior to the actual printing) and that we can expect to see the book in July. Call me a sceptic but I am not holding my breath! Hope I am wrong.

Kind regards to all.

The publisher of the 3rd edition of “The Year of The Tigers”, Australian
 Military History Publications, advises that the publication has been delayed 
by the printing contract being changed and placed offshore. This means a delay in the publication.
We will notify you as soon as something definite is known.

At last!
The 3rd edition of “The Year of The Tigers” (2009) is NOW AVAILABLE. Please click on the Memorabilia Button for details. Don’t forget to “refresh” each website page to ensure you get the current info.

Great work Dave and all involved, cant wait to see the updated version!

G'day Dave...

TYOTT has been with me for a couple of days now.
You can give yourself Full Marks and a pat on the back.

I was pleasently surprised to see that you ensured the great new photos were slotted into the old volume. As a result I feel that the book flows, and readers will enjoy it as much as I have.

Looking forward to a good read over the next few weeks. I realise you're patience must have been tested with the delays, but well worthwhile and Congratulations!

Bill