5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Signalling in the jungle

I've just finished MacKay's Delta Four in which he writes that the average range of contact in Vietnam was just 15m and the air was so thick with bullets that if you raised yourself to your knees you were guaranteed of getting shot. I understand that the basic contact drill was for the gun group to lay down support fire whilst the rifle group attempted to outflank or for one section to lay down support fire whilst another attempted to outflank but under such conditions, with such poor visibility how did the outflanking unit ever manage to signal the supporting unit to lift it's fire so that the assault could take place? The report from Operation Ballarat says that the M79 was of limited effectiveness because of the undergrowth and I would have thought that hurling grenades could also run the risk of hitting vines etc. and ending up who knows where.

Re: Signalling in the jungle

James;
Too complex, Check your EMail
Bob C