5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gold Card and Private Hospitals

I have the DVA Repatriation Gold Card. I also have, along with my wife, Private Medical Insurance. (NIB).

The primary reason we have private cover is for access to Private Hospitals. Our ancillary cover is fairly basic.

Recently I have been wondering if I really need private cover so I made some inquiries.

Firstly some info from DVA fact sheet:
"HSV60. Using the Repatriation Health Card-for all conditions (Gold)".

1."Can I choose to be treated as a private patient?
You can choose to be treated as a private patient at your own expense or
through your own private health insurance. However, if you take this option,
DVA is unable to reimburse you for private expenses, and is unable to pay the
gap between the cost of the services and any rebate payable by your private
health fund or Medicare.

2."What health care services can I have access to.
• medical services and surgical procedures listed on the MBS* in public and
private hospitals and day surgery facilities."

Now there appears to be some ambiguity in those two statements. So I rang the DVA and this is the reply I got.

"If your doctor decides you have to go into a private hospital then thats where you will go with all expenses covered. The only stipulation (this refers to statement 2 above) is that you cannot specify a private room. If you want a private room then you are liable for the extra expense. Unless, your doctor decides that you MUST have a private room or the private hospital only has private rooms."

So, some questions.

1. Have you had experience accessing private hospitals using your Gold Card?

2. Do you think there is anything at all you need private cover for as a Gold Card Holder?

3. Do any of you have private cover as well as a Gold Card? Why?

Ok fellas. I am not expecting any of you to divulge private information about your selves. Just some general information on just how the Gold Card relates to private hospital cover.

Thanks in advance.

Alan Miles.

Re: Gold Card and Private Hospitals

Hi Alan,
I have have just got out of the hills private hospital yesterday after having my lower bowel removed.All cost were covered by the dva,I also was in a private room but can not say that will always be the case.I am also having home nurseing which dva covers as well as medication and dressings.I had the doctor of my choice.Most doctor cover dva as it is good money.Rooms can be single or with others which is the same as with private cover.I had cancelled my medibank private cover before going into hospital.The card also covers for transport to and from.
Jeff. Dennis

Thanks Jeff. That's what I am looking for.

Anybody else?

Alan,

I have been in and out of hospitals since '99. Did not get my gold card till '01.

My Dr's have always put me in private hospitals (Nowra Private). I have never asked for a private room as the rooms are for two. However I rarely have more than me in it (perhaps I snore). Since '01 I have not had to spend a penny so private cover has been useless to me.

Ron Dunbar

Thanks Ron. I am in the process of canceling my private cover and upping my wifes to the top level cover. It works out at $60 a month cheaper. I am covered and my wife will have top private cover.

Alan.

Hi Allan,
I came out of a private hospital today after contracting pheumonia.Any doctor worth his salt knows that we go private.Go for it.

Regards Kiwi

Thanks Kiwi.

consensus seems to be that private is not needed. That'll do me!

Alan

Go for it mate,,, Saves heaps by you opting out and changing you Wife's category to top cover with top extras in Defence Health for about $450 each Quarter.
Good Luck

Thanks Mal. I didn't know there was such a thing as "Defence Health". Will look into it for sure!

Alan Miles