5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Coy - Truck Mine Incident

Have just recently noted the comments re thr truck mineing incident which resulted in so many casualties (not all A Coy, 2 US members also wounded).
I see by the replies that some members have photos of that day and I would really appreciate receiving a copy.
I was just a little bit busy that day organising Dustoff etc. One of my everlasting images of that day was of "Doc" Christensen giving mouth-to-mouth while running alongside the stretcher as we loaded wounded onto the US Army DustOff Huey.
Also, a little sad to see that the "incident" didn't rate any mention in our history.
I was angry to hear from a TF duty officer sometime later that they had received a warning from the Thais that the road was mined, but had disregarded the intel "as coming from "Slopes" and probably unreliable". The Thai Cav Captain who first arrived to help clear and assist if possible had already told me that he waas amazed that we had used that route after they had warned the Australian Task Force HQ. By the way, the TF duty officer was no greenhorn - in fact he was a major.
I could comment further but am still angry even today at what happened and that some of our people are still suffering from that little "incident"..

Re: A Coy - Truck Mine Incident

Bill,
Good to hear from you after such a long time of silence. It appears you have seen the other comments about the incident at
http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/3092962264/show/295646
so as no one else involved seems to have recorded that part of our history, I reckon you would be perfect to do it. So get on the phone to those involved and put pen to paper about it old digger. I'm sure we would all like to learn about it. I suggest you check the 1ATF War Diaries on the AWM website too.
All the best,
Dave

Bill,

Good to see you have resurfaced.

I spent time with A Coy attached as a splinter group from Assault Pioneers.

My brother (Anthony Ward,ex Fleet Air Arm, Air New Guinea) met you in New Guinea in the late 70's and he relayed to you that I served with the Pioneers. You commented that the Assault Pioneers and A Coy had done business together in a few contacts.

How's the leg?

Regards,

Ian Ward

Hi Ian
Good to hear from you - yes I remember meeting your brother.
The Assault Pioneer Pl and Tracker Pl both had their moments with A Coy. The major events occurred when we were operating as a separate Coy Group and, in both cases, brought home the old adage about operating with a reserve - 2 platoons and a skinny HQ didn't allow much spare!
Perhaps another sub-unit would have made all the difference in our final contact in August 69 when we managed to find the long lost D445! It certainly would have taken them a bit longer to surround us!
Thanks for asking about the leg - thanks to a gtreat Surgeon in Sydney it is still reasonably functional. I just thank heavens that the original surgeon didn''t have his way when I landed at Vung Tau - and there lies another story!!

Sorry Bill it must be the ravages of the age process but I was checking to make sure he was still breathing and not doing mouth to mouth Regards David

Hi David
How about sending me your contact details, I would very much like to get in touch.
Cheers, Bill minyama@aunix.com.au 07 54445332

Was just reading the blogs on the 5RAR message board and noticed a few entries re truck mine explosion. Today 27th March is the anniversary of that event. I was with the Arty FO party with A coy and in the first truck. From memory the truck behind us was hit first, then our driver accelerated being an ambush an we hit a very large mine. I have a few photos of the mangled truck & the crater in the ground. I was the FO Bdr and had been doing both mine & the FO officers role as he had recently crashed in a chopper accident. We had just that day received a reo for him in the way of a US Officer. Unfortunately for him he broke his leg in the incident & was dusted off, leaving us short again. Incidentally, a mate of mine I went to Primary School with back in the 50's was also in the truck-Douglas Holmes (5RAR) who lost the hearing in one ear.
39 years is a long time but will stay vivid in my mind.

If anyone is interested in adding to this subject I have been asked to submit a more detailed report for the webpage. Several people have already contacted me and passed on valuable comments but I would welcome any others who would care to relate their experiences that day. I think it is a sad omission that needs to be better recorded - certainly some 23 peopl won't forget that day ever.
I can be contacted at: minyama@aunix.com.au or 0413 749009.

Bill
Are you the officer who came to Germany and was on the umpiring team on a major NATO exercise in 1976? If you are, then I was the brand new 2nd Lt. in 13th/18th Hussars and we spent many evenings talking about Vietnam. It would be good to re-connect after so many years!