5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Christmas in Nui Dat, South Vietnam, 1969.

5RAR was resting in Nui Dat having just returned from the bush and 6 weeks of Operation "Kings Cross" except that C Company had been sent back out into the ulu for a short operation in the valley between the Warbies (Nui Dinh) and Nui Toc Tien. Then on Christmas Eve C Company also arrived back in Nui Dat to commence its celebrations. Just before midnight some of us began hearing Christmas carols eerily emanating from the ether. A few beers can do strange things to you when you have been on the dry for a while, we thought. However the heavenly chorus turned out to be an aircraft flying over Nui Dat playing carols for the Task Force through its loud speaker.

Christmas morning was something quite surprising and different for the younger diggers, particularly the Nashos who hadn’t experienced the Army’s Christmas tradition before. The day began with the officers and sergeants serving coffee royale to the soldiers IN BED. Many were startled awake by the CSM or a sergeant’s raucous shout but then saw and smelled the steaming brew laced with rum (or was it brandy?), and heard the Christmas wishes being offered to them in their slumber. Later they again enjoyed having the tables turned on those who usually bossed them about, when the officers and sergeants continued their duties to serve the soldiers Christmas dinner.

These are old customs in the Army and ones the diggers seemed to really appreciate.

During the day C Company hosted the CO and RSM for some Christmas cheer at which time the Company medic, Kevin Mulligan, produced a forbidden pet white rabbit, “Bunny San”, which had been previously unknown to “the bosses” (see the picture in the “Image Gallery” for “Nui Dat Base” on this website). With so much cheer about, Bunny San received the sanction of approval from Genghis (the CO) and Sandshoes (the RSM) and was allowed to stay.

It was terrific day for diggers, NCOs and officers alike. We were all relaxed, the VC were kind enough to leave us in peace, and we were all able to unwind for a day.

To my old comrades-in-arms from that occasion, may I wish you all a very happy Christmas in 2007 and a healthy and fruitful 2008.

Dave Wilkins
OC C Company (Dec 1969-Mar 1970)

Re: Christmas in Nui Dat, South Vietnam, 1969.

Thanks for the memories Dave. I was in C Coy Christmas 1969, with the officers and sergeants did a great job, except that Jack Lake still yelled. I think the CO and RSM (in your care) visited every tent and every digger that day, and somehow, any contraband that we may have had just wasn't seen. The CO and RSM joined our mess table and asked for, and were afforded no more than the lowliest private. Great leaders, a great day.

Re: Christmas in Nui Dat, South Vietnam, 1969.

Dave, There is an article on "Baby San" with photo on Page 5 of the Aug 2007 issue(Issue 16)of Tiger Tales. This edition can be accessed from the home page of this website.

I reminds me of similar Christmas activities in Charlie Coy Dec 1966 and in the same lines. It is one of our great traditions and a time when officers, WO's and senior NCO's can give a little bit back to those who "wear the brunt at the front"