5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"One Word " to be shared

" One Word "

We had huge storms here in Canberra over the weekend
and had obvious water issues to the house. So yesterday we had a tradesguy check for any unseen damage.

The bloke, about 30, turned up and my wife and I sat out in the sun with a coffee. After about 40 minutes he joined us and said that all was okay.

Then he said "You went to Vietnam", more a statement than a question. I replied "yeah". I was still a bit surprised as he extended his arm to shake my hand and said.... "thanks".

He had obviously seen the framed photo of ' Binh Ba ' on the study wall. To say that I was somewhat taken aback by his genuine thanks is an understatement. All that I managed to say to him was "Christ, no one has ever said that to me before"

As he left I felt little ashamed for my stupid reply and not finding out if, perhaps his father was a vet or that he knew someone who was.

His one word had an impact on both of us for a while after he'd left and I wish I could let him know that now.

So, on behalf of all the 5th Battalion I wish to accept his 'thanks' and share it with all of you. I'd be interested to know if other members have had any similar experiences.

Thanks to the regulars that keep this site alive, and to Ted in particular,all the best for Xmas and 2008

Cheers Bill O'Mara

Re: "One Word " to be shared

There are people out there who still uphold tradition and respect it also happened to me this year a father of the local school came to me one morning whilst i was standing at the school with two of my kids and said mate its vietnam vets day have a good dy and thanks for your service , he is a new member of our small community so how he new me blew me away. as i say to my kids give repect and so you shall receive it best wishes to all no more hospitals for me this year john h

A similar thing happened to me, at of all places, the rubbish transfer station. I was backing up to the garden rubbish bin and the attendant guided me into the spot. As I got out to empty the boot he said, "You were there?" and I answered in the positive. He then helped me to empty the rubbish into the bin and stated, "Got to help the ones that helped us"

Sorry, forgot to say that he had seen the 5 RAR badge on the car.

Bill’s story reminded me of a wonderful experience a few years ago.

My wife and I were amongst the Aussie pilgrims to Gallipoli for ANZAC Day in 2001. At the 10 a.m. service at Lone Pine thousands crammed into the military cemetery surrounding the lonesome pine tree. The more exhausted of the back-packers were sleeping amongst the graves of their ancestors (the words of a Turkish officer who was not critical but complimentary of the patriotism of our youth), oblivious to the party-like atmosphere developing around them by those who were conscious. It was almost like the nervous tension in the crowd before a rugby Bledisloe Cup, or if you like, before a rugby league State of Origin or an AFL final at the MCG. There was that constant buzz of excitement, the laughter and that feel-good sensation of anticipation. In the middle of a war cemetery this sounds inappropriate and irreverent, but somehow it wasn’t. At the appropriate time, the respect and solemnity were there.

The master of ceremonies, Gary Beck, made an announcement before the ceremony:

There are 15 spare seats in the official enclosure. Would some veterans please come forward and take the opportunity to have a better position.

Initially no one moved. Then the young back-packers stood in the crowd, searching for medals on chests. One by one they were spotted and the call began “Come forward, come forward”. The somewhat embarrassed, but appreciative and proud veteran rose slowly and made his way forward through the crowd, which by now was applauding loudly. This was repeated time and again. Many in the crowd had tears running down their cheeks and all were proud and VERY patriotic.

In that few minutes, those who are Vietnam veterans experienced a hero status never previously experienced.