5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1966 Cartoon

Does anybody have a copy of the 1966 newspaper carton about Chuckles Coy storming the beach at Vung Tau with fixed bayonets?

I would love a copy if it is at all possible as I was one of the attackers.

Gary

Re: 1966 Cartoon

If you manage to get the cartoon I'd like a copy if possible.
Russell Briggs

Hi Russell,

I have contacted all the newspapers that I can think of and they said they would need to know the date of the issue. The only other way would be to go to the State Libraries and go through the Microfiche until you found it. I can only put an approx date to as 1st half of May 1966 and do not know the exact paper although I think it was done by Jeff Hook.

Sorry I did not answer ealier as I was on holidays untill today.

Gary

gday fellows i will be heading into state library nsw next week and will run a search for cartoon any ideas of the newspaper i know we arrived on may the 4th
regards john hellyer

John,

if it was Jeff Hook he worked for the Melbourne Sun at the time we are talking about but that is about all I can tell you.

Gary

thanks gary that will be my first point of call by the way it will be week after next have to take the kids fishing regards john hellyer

Thanks, John, hope you have some luck. The Association President, Roger Wainwright would also like a copy if we can get it.

Gary

sorry guys unable to locate cartoon still hoping tofollow other leads, will return to library soon all the best jh

Thanks again for trying John.

Gary

I got in touch with Geoff Hook, he couldn't remember the cartoon but he was going to have a look in his library,I haven't heard back. Maybe it wasn't one of his, any idea who else it could be?.

Russell, the only other one I can think of is John Frith.
Regards, Gary

I've sent you a cartoon from the WA newspaper in 1966,it could be the one you are looking for. can you show it to Roger he might remember.

Russell Briggs

Thanks Russ, but that cartoon was to do with 1RAR landing in 1965. I'll keep looking for it though.

have just had word from state library in sydney unable to locate the cartoon from may 1966, just have to keep searching would love to bring it to reunion next year

Thanks John, I have just about given up any hope of finding it, I have looked everywhere that I can think of without any luck.
I saw a bloke on the ABC show 'Collectors' who mania was collecting the old cartoons and he has not been able to help us either.
regards, Gary

It could be a Rigby Cartoon, I'll go into the library in Perth and have another look.
Russell

hello there, i have just been through a lot of rigby cartoons and have emailed some reqests next search will be hmas sydney web site regards john hellyer

have just had word back from rigby family collection and also from wa state library they both suggest a visit to check out their collections hope you can get there russell some one must have a copy regards john hellyer