5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possible Assistance for Member

'In the first half of our first tour an M60 gunner 'Dick Walters ?" of 1pl A Coy was shot in his jaw/shoulder during a contact, while he was returning to his gun after doing a water bottle resup.'
A psychiatrist told me the above & that if this person could be contacted it would assist one of his patients[presumably one of us]
There's no 'Walters' listed on the network nominal roll so possibly the name or sub unit is not correct.
If any member knows of the above or can link it up,
please advise.
All the best to you all, Bob Williams.

Re: Possible Assistance for Member

Bob,
the only Walters wounded in Vietnam was Walters R J Pte 6RAR A Coy 3 Plt, wounded in mine incident at Long Hai 21-07-1969.

Easy way to check casualties in Vietnam is on this site; http://www.thecasualtylist.com/casualtylist.html

regards,

Gary

Thanks Gary,-one up for C Coy-guess that rules out the 'Walters'.
Only close one is '2781523 Richard Norman WALTER' someone may know what Coy & whether he's contactable.
Thanks again, Bob

G'day Bob and Garry,

Richard 'Dicky' Walters was the machine gunner for 1 Section 1 Platoon A Company 5RAR during the first tour. He was a member of my section. I was the section 2i/c and acting section commander for a time.
He was in fact wounded in the mouth and neck during a contact with a main force body of Viet Cong during Operation Sydney One sometime between the 6-17 July 1966. I was not involved in that contact as I had been flown to 1st or 8 Field Ambulance at Vung Tau with Dengues Fever.

Dickey is not a member of the association and no one knows his whereabouts. There are a number of 1 Platoon blokes who would love to meet up with him again so Dick if you read this please contact me at the e-mail above.

Sorry I can't help further Bob, but will let you know if contact is made.

Cheers,

Ted.