5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unknown Next of Kin of Vietnam War Dead.

Hello Everyone,

Well isn't that a great result....Brig Chris Appleton's letter is the perfect solution as it is very sincere and most honorable. Perhaps we could get the other Battalions to do the same..anyone have any contacts???

Thankyou Ted, Bob, David, Russell etc., I may have seemed a little brash but this is a very "touchy" subject. The Association sending the letters to known NOK is sure to get some results.....we hope!

Who wants to go to Washington in 2015?????

Regards, Jenny.

Hi everyone,
This is all in hand. A list of addresses of all our 5RAR members who are affected will be given to the Office of Austalian War Graves this week. Brig Chris Appleton will send out the letters and will indciate that contact details have been provided by our Association. They are very sensitive to the issues involved and in many cases have made contact by telephone to provide more detail on the background to the Vietnam Veterans Education Centre to be built in Washington DC.

The head of the Advisory Committee to the government on Australia's contrinution the the VVEC is our fellow 5RAR veteran, Professor Robert O'Neill.

On another matter, Brig Chris Appleton is departing for France this weekend and will be hand carrying the plaque the Association is presenting to the Victoria School Museum at Villers-Bretonneux. A photo of the plaque is in the current issue of Tiger Tales. As a past CO of 5/7RAR,Chris is a good friend of the Association. His son is a young officer currently serving with 5RAR.

Regards to all,
Roger

Hi Jenny

It's a long time between drinks from pre-embarkation in 1969 and the home -coming parade in 1987.

I've never forgotten the hospitality that Brian and your goodself showed me by allowing me the privilege of staying in your home prior to us going off to that ""Asian War". Brian and I were good mates even though we were in different Companies but we were fledgling Tigers, and despite Brian's tragic loss, we are now and always will be fully grown Tigers.

In your earlier email correspondence you sounded very bitter (or that may just be me reading between the lines). For those of us that have met you and have had the the pleasure of your company post Vietnam, you're better than that and Brian would be looking down saying "If you keep that up girl, I'll fire aqnother flare across the Sydney skyscape". Yes, no names, no pack drill, but I think the word is aided and abetted.

And remember the bloke that so was taken with your pre-parade hospitality in 1987 that he forgot his camera and left it on the bench?

Jenny, if my be so bold as to say - Tigers don't forget - we do try to look after our own but sometimes, time and tide get in the way and it is difficult to kept in touch with NOK.

Please feel free to get in touch and we can reminisce about the good times and a great bloke called Brian. Who knows, I may even remind you of your mortification that you walked passed me as I slept on your lounge ... but that's for you and I to recall. Fair dinkum, lass, I was asleep!

All the very best to you and Joanne.

Best Regards

Roger L
Sunray 33, C Coy, 5 RAR, 1969/70

Dearest Roger,

Well said..I even thought I came over a bit BRASH and I do apologise to you all, those who know me know I am not like that.
That said since reading the "official" events of 9/3/69 I am still hurt and offended by the written word as to the results of the investigation...poor Brian would be devestated.
Had a great chat to "Mitch" yesterday so 5RAR is on my mind.
Where are you now Roger, we have retired to Port Stephens, are your parents still in Newcastle? Would love to catch up. Joanne has Jessica, 19 and Jennefer,17 , all of them tall(6ft) and brown eyed like their father and grandfather..definitely Walkers.
Mobile, 0411125270
Much Love, Jen

Hi Jen

Good to hear from you after all this time. Rhonda and I are in Sydney (Carlingford). Michelle and Amanda have their own units at Cherrybrook and Nth Parramatta respectively but I still seem to be keeping them in the manner to which they have become accustomed. No grandkids I'm afraid as the girls still haven't found the right bloke.

Dad and Mum passed away some years ago now although they both had decent innings into their early 80s. My younger brother is still in Newcastle with his family (coincidentally also two daughters) and my sister is here in Sydney at Breakfast Point.

Joanne's girls are 19 and 17! Where did all that time go? I'm feeling very old.

We'll have to get up to Port Stephens to catch up. Things are somewhat manic at work (re-organisation), so we're probably looking at some time in the New Year. I'll give you a call and we'll see what we can work out.

Warmest Regards

Roger