5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The A,N.Z,M,I

G'day Bob,
It is regrettable that some low lives need to impersonate a returned serviceman for whatever reason. Personally I find it upsetting when I hear of these cretins impressing the ignorant of their 'derring do'. To those veterans who might think it's not that important, need to realise the damage these idiots do to a lot of veterans.

An article from a Melbourne newspaper THE AGE dated 21st April 2007 Says if far better than I can.

The article goes on to state (inter alia)

"If some boys dream of becoming soldiers, some ageing men regret they never did. As the 18th-century English essayist Samuel Johnson put it: "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier

Dr Hornsey, the psychologist, says impostors are wrong if they think theirs is a victimless crime.

"Battlefields are strange places; veterans can struggle for their entire lives to make sense of what they did or didn't do during wartime," Dr Hornsey said.

"And in making sense of that it's so important to surround yourself with people who were there, who can understand, who were under the same pressures you were under. Imagine finding out that one of those people was not actually there, that they were pretending to be something they were not."

"The sense of betrayal and damage must be enormous. Many impostors defend themselves by saying their crimes are victimless. They're kidding themselves. To trample over people's sense of self and to interfere with their process of healing — they don't realise how much damage they're doing."

The complete article can be read here.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/the-anzac-
heroes-who-werent/2007/04/21/1176697155246.html?page=3

Re: The A,N.Z,M,I

Regrettable, yes, look at the ANZMI site and you'll see Andrews,William who had gained membership of this very 5 RAR association.I just got another one put on ANZMI, he told me he was in SAS,stepped on a mine(couldnt even see a bayonet mark)SENT TO GERMANY,then sent to Vung Tau to finish his tour. The only truth was he did get to VT as a steward,Catering Corps HQ 1ALSG!!!!
They make us look like idiots.Report them.
Regards, Geoff Allen.