5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RSL-A disgrace post Vietnam and always.

We have all put up with the RSL's bad attitude towards Vietnam veterans and I have always asked myself why? The answer of course, is that the people esconced in the RSL were, and are, frighted that their positions would be taken by real soldiers. We must realise that the League is not democratic. The voting system is designed to keep the status seekers in office. There is one subranch in our area that is completly run by civvies and they mean to keep it that way by recruiting as many 'associated members' as possible. The RSL is not for me and never will be.

Re: RSL-A disgrace post Vietnam and always.

Jock,
I respond to your complaint "in part".
Your area sub-branch appears to be run by "civvies" but are they Ex Servicemen or Associate Members? Was/is there a sub-branch Constitution? If so, does it allow for Associate Members to occupy all positions on The Board? As a member of a large RSL, our Constitution only allows for two(2) Associates who are non voting members of The Board we also have only one (1) Board member who is a current serving member, the rest are "civvies" being ex servicemen. the problem is that as time goes by, and we become fewer, without "new blood" from either ex or current seving members, all Sub-Branches will eventually be disolved or Constitutions written to allow pure civilians to run for available offices. Be proactive and find out about The Constitution of your sub-branch and have an input at their meetings. It may mean that their are insufficient full members to fill the available positions or that The Constitution has been *******ised.

Geoff "Pom"