5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Soldiers in reflective sunglasses

I refer to the interesting photograph displayed on our 5RAR Association website home page showing an Aussie soldier in sunglasses talking to an Afghan national at a vehicle checkpoint.
The reputation of Australian troops worldwide is high, not just for their military capabilities and professionalism, but also for their approachable, down-to-earth, easy-going manner. This latter characteristic is important for the “hearts and minds” aspect of current operations in gaining the confidence of the local population. We are of course also involved in the more aggressive fighting patrols and night raids seeking actual combat with the Taliban enemy, but I only wish to comment here on the non-violent aspect of the strategy.
I wonder if the wearing of sunglasses is in fact counter-productive to winning the hearts and minds, where eye-to-eye contact is so important in communication. And I query if the Afghan villagers feel so warmly towards our troops wearing these reflective sunglasses, which act like masks and create personal barriers. Any expression from the eyes is hidden.
The wearing of modern-day sunglasses, which wrap around the eyes, carries with it an element of the standover man who is not only the bully and enforcer but also the person who wants to remain anonymous. Further, they evoke an element of arrogance. Just take a look at the swaggering Australian cricket team off the field in their reflective shades and you’ll see what I mean.

This is just a personal observation and I may well be wrong, so it will be of interest to hear other views.

Regards to all,
Dave Wilkins

Re: Soldiers in reflective sunglasses

Interesting point Dave. I suppose eye protection coupled with the best vision possible in the conditions they have to operate in dictates the type of sunglasses they wear.

I would assume that studies on the best option have been done and the reflective lenses are the best. But yes, I see your point. They could always be instructed to slip them off and put them in a pocket when talking to friendly locals

I see the same problem with the Police in NSW. Why do Highway Patrol police driving a car have to wear jodhpurs, boots and a leather hat? And yes, the ubiquitous sunnies. Put's them offside soon as they get out of the car looking like a throw back to the Gestapo!

Alan

I agree with the sentiments expressed re sunglasses. I would support that our diggers remove them when speaking to any of the locals. For the same reason Burkas should be banned..........they are rude in that they allow no facial and limited eye contact. I always thought the baddies wore masks. Even the face tatood Vietnam Vets are really trying to intimidate those they make contact with. They really do not represent the majority of main core Vets, who, like me, find them an emarrassment. The pity is that these guys are past their prime and probably quite harmless..... I wouldn't purchase aything from a car yard if the guy/gal was wearing sunnies.

I even find sunnies on top of the head a complete turnoff.....................Bill

one of my sons has just ret from afghanistan and i put the question to him re glasses, his answer the sun glasses protect their eyes from intense heat and they are specially toughened to protec the eyes from explosions, ie grenades etc... as far as the locals go he said that when in village settings meetings they come off to show respect, this was his second combat tour regards john hellyer

I must agree with your comments I have always looked on reflective glasses as an affront and can only guess what the locals feel.My father was a greek and in his culture, eye contact is imperative to good relations. jack