5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PTE Andrew Drummond Info and Photos (Accidently Killed 30 May 69)

I am assisting the (Aboriginal)family of Andrew Drummond to gather some information and photo's on Andrew in 5RAR and Vietnam. He was accidently killed on active service. They would particularly like to get some copies of photos of him in Vietnam. Also Pl, Coy etc. I can relay messages. We are in Carnarvon WA. The town has a significant memorial acknowledging his loss. Many thanks, Mac

Re: PTE Andrew Drummond Info and Photos (Accidently Killed 30 May 69)

Hello Mac...

Andy is still talked about today in phone calls and emails between members of B Comany. He was well regarded by all who knew him and as a non drinker Andy often looked after anyone that may have been a bit worse for wear after a late night out. I know I looked to a handfull of our guys for a bit of guidance at times and Andy was one of them. We knew we could trust his judgement when called upon.

As a member of 6 Platoon B Coy, I knew Andy very well.
Initially at Holdsworthy and on numerous exercises and Canungra prior to leaving for Vietnam in Feb.'69
I met up with Andy at Garden Island as we prepared to board the 'Sydney'. I had introduced Andy to my family & future wife who were there to see me off, when he kindly borrowed Dad's camera to take our photo.

I recall that tragic Friday 30th May '69 when we lost Andy. We had just come across a Vietcong Camp, that although deserted, was well prepared with bamboo footbridges, tables, watering points and cooking facilities. I remember the dense jungle canopy that made it a bit cool, dark and damp. You would not have found that camp from the air, the jungle growth was so very think & dense.

Although I was, perhaps only about 30-40 yards from Andy when the tragic accident occured that cost Andy his Life, I was not an eye witness to his death. You couldn't see for more than 15-20 yards. We certainly got news very quickly from those who were attending to him. I looked to Andy Drummond as being one of those bullet proof characters and expected that he would be the last soldier to meet such a fate.

Please inform Andy's Family that, over the past 48 hours I have emailed some hopefull sources in the hope that they have their own recollections and maybe with a bit of luck some photos as well.I have tried in the past without any luck. Sorry that I can't be more confident for you.

All the best in your search Mac,Andy will never be forgotten by 6 Platoon or B Coy.

Cheers

Bill O'Mara
PS. I have been fortunate enough to see a photo of Andy's Memorial... it says MUCH about the Man.
billomara@aapt.net.au