5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CMF VISIT 5 RAR S Vnm

Can any of you fellows recall a CMF VISITOR to 5RAR between 25thJune 1969 and 9th July 1969 of one 2217256 Captain O'BRIEN, Terrence D A (seconded from
2 BtnRNSWR.)
Mr O'Brien features in a book, "Vietnam Veterans sons of the Hunter", compiled by Maree Rowe. The book is a compilation of the "STORIES" of 104 veterans.
In his narration,Mr O'Brien tells of one of the worst moments that he could recall was his SLOG WITH D-COY
up the Nui Thi Vais and he refers to a CSM Alan"Smudge" Smith MM waiting at the Dat praying for the weather to lift so WE could get an ammo resupply.
Mr O'Brien goes on to relate that they were looking at another possible Long Tan.
The exploits are unbelievable! this guy experienced so much in 15 days,just imagine if he'd put a year in. I'd really like to find out anything on this Captain(MAJ in the book and tour:1969)
Not often I'm wrong but I'm right again.
Go to the local library and read his(and other STORIES)in that book,you might need a bucket!
Any assistance appreciated
Geoff Allen,A Sqn3CavRegtLAD,May'68-May'69.

Re: CMF VISIT 5 RAR S Vnm

Geoff, Capt O'Brien is listed on the Vietnam Vets Nominal Roll as being attached to 5RAR from 25/6/69 to 9/7/69. There was a WO2 Smith, G A "Alex" as CSM in D Coy.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I knew that,am after anyone that can recall him and his "exploits".
First clue you give me is the incorrect CSM,but Mr O,Brien claims that the particular"smudge"CSM was returning from compassionate leave and was stranded at the Dat, (Mr O'Brien inferred the CSM was to organise an ammo re-supply)then, he could be talking about some other CSM.
I wish to find out as the stories this Captain goes on with are comical to say the least.AND IN PRINT!
ANYONE IN 5RAR LAND,PLEASE HELP,we maybe able to confirm the exploits or muffle a fool!
Cannot find the CSM on the Nom Roll either.
Geoff(GD)Allen

You say this CMF bloke was in South Vietnam from 25th June 1969 to 9th July 1969 and some of that time was with D Coy 5RAR. As unusual as it may seem, although I was the battalion Adjutant at the time, I was attached to D Coy for the operation in the Nui Dinhs during the period 29 June to 14 July. Initially I moved with CHQ up the mountain and then took over command of 11 Platoon, because its Platoon Commander, 2Lt John Russell, had been wounded in the Battle of Binh Ba a few weeks earlier. As well, the Coy 2ic, Capt Tim Britten, was away on R&R and I am pretty sure that the CSM, WO2 Alex Smith MM, was also away (at least he was not in the bush with the rest of us). In fact the CQMS, SSGT Tom “Stretch” Witheridge, moved with CHQ in the absence of Alex.
I kept a diary in Vietnam and, whilst I did not record many details such as the names of people attached to us, like this CMF bloke, I do have a vague recollection of one such bloke being there for a while.
I haven’t read the book you refer to but there are some aspects you might like to compare:
1. It was the Nui Dinhs not the Nui Thi Vais;
2. Yes, it was a real slog up the mountain on a hot dry day (no rain) and a couple of blokes suffered from heat exhaustion. But they kept going. About half way up we had to call in a Dustoff chopper to extract a Hoi Chanh and Viet interpreter who found the going too hard.
3. We got a water resupply at the top of the mountain (the chopper couldn’t land and had to hover just above the ground when delivering it).
4. The enemy were pretty active in the area- we had 7 or 8 contacts in a few days and took casualties who had to be evacuated by Dustoff chopper, so I can imagine the CMF bloke would have been a trifle perturbed by all this.
5. Some of the enemy camp areas amongst the caves were of company size.

And I should mention in passing that the 11 Platoon soldiers were bloody terrific. Real professionals.
But sorry, I can’t be absolutely sure that the CMF bloke was or was not with us.

Thanks Dave,have sent an email to your address but it keeps coming back to me, did not want its content on here, yet. Regards,Geoff Allen.

hi guys we did have cmf guy with as i went with chq during thi time and i got a chopper out with this cmf guy as it was getting a bit tough up there and i was required back at base for other duties, he was a captain but name i cannott remember, he was not in any real danger as such though john hellyer