5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No Personal Financial Gain

It was suggested to me recently that I had a financial interest in the sales of the book “The Year of The Tigers”. I want to put the record straight that I was requested by the 5RAR Association to take on the project of being editor for the 3rd edition of this book and that I did so willingly WITHOUT ANY PERSONAL FINANCIAL GAIN. In fact I was honoured to have taken on this task and benefited from it by being able to make contact with lots of old veteran tiger mates from 1969-70.
Warm regards and best wishes to you all,
Dave

Re: No Personal Financial Gain

As Dave Wilkin's Research Assistant for TYOTT, I am appalled that someone would make that suggestion. I can attest to his long hours, days & months of selfless work including Canberra trips,meetings with myself & others etc etc etc. Shame on that person. We are so fortunate to have had dave do all that work. You could not put a price on it.
Paul McQueen

Dave
Keep up the effort Mate, the silent majority appreciated your efforts, no matter how hard you try at the BBQ' someone always gets his sausage burn't.
Bob Cavill

G'day Dave.... You must be really pleased that you took on the task of editing the 3rd edition TYOTT :-(

You did a great job over more than a 12 months period with a lot of frustrating delays, it could not have been better handled. The committee knew you would of course, that's why you got the job in the first place.

Some thoughtless, thankless bugger, who probably didn't even contribute has left a bad taste in your mouth. Mine too.

You got little to no thanks for your efforts maybe we're all a bit guilty at times, in taking those that volunteer their time for granted.

Your skills re YOTT and Ted our webmaster and Garry producing Tiger Tales not to forget all the meetings by the commitee members for BB40 and especially Barry Morgans efforts over many months in bringing it all together.

Comments from the blokes for BB40 and TYOTT have been positive.....they just don't let YOU guys know.

Hope you get an apology Dave. But if not, don't let it get to you.

Cheers Mate

Bill O'Mara

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your messages of support, but I am unconcerned by it all now. I just didn’t want others to think the same way as that one bloke. As it was, I don’t think he was meaning to be spiteful. It was probably just a throw-away line or maybe he got out of bed on the wrong side of bed that day. And we’ve all done that from time to time, haven’t we?
As far as I am concerned I have cleared the air and I think no more of it.
Regards, Dave

Hi Dave I think some people have had their heads in to many scrums. Keep up the good work we appreciate it
Barney

Gentlemen,
For some reason the postings on this topic passed me by before now. For the record I have a few comments.

It is a pity that one ill informed person has made such an allegation. We all know that Dave did a outstanding job in editing the 3rd edition of TYOTT and the proof of that is in the sales & acceptance of the new edition. I was the person that liaised with Dave when he volunteered for this task and there was never any thought or talk of personal gain. Dave took this task on with his custumorary willingness & professionalism. At times he had some frustrating dealings with the publisher that made the task more complex and increased his work load.

Dave provided a final report of the project in late 2009 for tabling at our association committee meeting. It was unaminously accepted and our thanks to Dave were recorded. This has also been recorded in Tiger Tales. Those who attended the general meeting at our recent 45th anniversary reunion will also be aware that I publicly thanked Dave for his voluntary contribution in editing TYOTT.

The only beneficiaries are the 5RAR Association and its members through a very small margin on publication costs and royalties we receive from the publisher from his sales. We and the public also benefit from having an updated edition of this important time in 5RAR's history available for the future.

Roger Wainwright
President
5RAR Association

My compliments on the book it has been a pleasant diversion from recent events .