Starrsdcct Neapolitan Mastiff Health Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to ask questions or post a message.

Starrsdcct Neapolitan Mastiff Health Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Continued

Breed Development
In the early days of the breed's emergence there was a difference in concept between breeders in Southern Italy and those of the North. the main argument was about what constituted true type.
The South, which had been the home of the Mastino for centuries, wanted a strong guard dog and had few aspirations for the production of a show dog. Their concept was for a some what tough, broad, heavy,low to the ground animal whose function was the defense of persons and property. A small pocket of such dogs existed which were extremely inbred, and possessed disproportionately short,but heavily boned legs, giving such animals a somewhat grotesque appearance. This strain became known as Zacarro, which was the name of the breeder whose family had, apparently, owned the dogs of this type for many years.
I am not suggesting that all the Southern Italian breeders owned, bred or even advocated this extreme of type, but the Northern Italian breeders, even in the early days, envisaged a heavy dog combining type, weight, breadth and correct balance. Obviously some of the more progressive breeders realized the show potential and ownership appeal of the unique new development. the disagreement continued over the years but has now, to a major extent, subsided, yet it is still present in the breed diehards.
In 1958 a man who was to strongly influence the breed, and to develop it further, made up the first of his many Champions and International Champions. This breeder was Mario Querci, who owned an small business near Florence, and the dog was his Sahib 1. In the same year he made up his first Champion female, called Susi, and began registering dogs under his prefix Ponzano in 1963.
Ponzano, by virtue of the owner's breeding skills and numerical strength of the kennel, had worldwide influence. The head type of the latter years of the kennels existence was different from rather plain-headed days of Sahib 1, but I do not think that Querci would have appreciated some of the excessively over-wrinkled skin and hanging flews which one sees today in some kennels.
Dr G. Benelli, a wealthy industrialist living near Florence, owned a well-known kennel of high class show terriers. Dr Benelli was an international judge and a regular visitor to Crufts. Under the Affix del Canadoro, Neapolitan Mastiffs were added to the breeds in his extensive kennel, probably in a dual purpose role,firstly as part of his Italian heritage and secondly as guardians of the estate,which had a small herd of wild pigs as well as deer. his first Champion was Marcantonio di Ponzano, in 1968, followed in the same year by three more from Ponzano-Giara, Frusta and Quintiliana.
Another kennel of importance in the development of the breed is della Grotta Azzura, which is still active. One of the great influential sires produced in this kennel was CH.Falco della Grotta Azzura who became a Champion in 1976. Falco was extensively used at stud and his influence for the betterment of the breed is legendary. It is impossible to comment on every Italian breeder but one should not overlook the good work of such enthusiasts as Guido Vandoni, and Antonio di Lorenzo of dell'Alta Fiumara, whose El Gavilan dell'Alta Fiumara, features in some of the USA pedigrees today.

Continued

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: Continued

I love this breed! :) It was just like love at first sight when I saw my Neo. :)