KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unforgettable Moments

Does an unforgettable “day” qualify as an “unforgettable moment”? If so, I nominate my last day at school and the last day of term July 1960.

It was Founders’ Day.

The morning began in the school hall, North Street, with the presentation of all the school’s sporting prizes for the year. David Ogden and I proudly lifted the House Shield for Longsdon House which topped the inter-house games competitions 1959-60 – for the first time since the illustrious Don Chadwick was House Captain in 1956(?).

There followed the School Founders’ Day Service in the Parish Church where I read the lesson from Ecclesiaticus 44 – “Let us now praise famous men and our fathers that begat us” - (after Watthey had earlier ironed out some of my Lawkholme vowel sounds – pro tem).

All that remained was the afternoon cricket match against the Old Boys’ XI before the whole school at Keighley CC ground – and then the following morning off to Kirky with Gilbert and the foragers.

I was to open the innings with Malcolm Bailey (also Longsdon) who had won the cricket bat presented for for the best batsman of the season. According to my school report, FW (Wellock) recorded that I had an average of "more than twenty" and I was looking forward to the game. School batted first.

Malcolm and I took to the field. I always took first knock. I was to face Norman Wetherhead, a bit of a bête noir to me. He had bowled me out in my first junior house match against Brigg in 1954 and on another later occasion when he bowled for Oxenhope in the West Bradford League.

I noticed that at cover-point was Alan Hargreaves, the much respected staff photographer of The Keighley News and dad of my friend, Trevor. I took guard, scanned the field placements and saw that Alan Hargreaves was still at cover-point. What happened next can be seen in the collection of photos under “Cricket”.

An unforgettable day for several reasons.

Unfortunately for me, someone sent a copy of The Keighley News to the Kirky camp and it put a bit of a damper on my last camp holiday - correction !! - holiday at camp.

Ten years earlier,Prut's diary entry read..."Thank goodness Founders' Day Service and Old Boys' match are over once more." Retrospectively, I would have agreed.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I have seen the photo for the first time Terry. Thi got thissen out!! Look at your feet for goodness sakes!! All over the place. That front foot should only be there for the pull or hook and the rest of your body says you weren't going for that. The ball was not short enough to be pulled else it would not have hit your stumps. Still too late now but we could have straightened you out in a couple of evenings in Eastwood School yard with a tennis ball.

Was the 1960 old boys cricket match the one where Frank Wellock was fielding on the boundary near the rugby stand.Someone gave the ball an almighty swipe and it came down with snow on straight towards Frank who didnt have to move an inch.Everyone watched with baited breath as the ball eventually connected with Frank.It slipped straight through his hands and gently fell onto the floor.Frank went bright red to the accompanyment of the biggest cheer ever heard on the ground.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-1961

Current location (optional) Filey

No surprise to me. Wellock all talk and no expertise.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-1969

Current location (optional) Bradford

Peach, the Geography teacher had absolutely no class control and his lessons were a disaster. He had either had too much of it or had been told to get a grip by higher up because he tore into us one afternoon, screaming and shouting and frothing and ended his tirade' ...and I don't want to hear a peep out any one of you.' There was a stunned and respectful silence that lasted about 10 seconds and then Brian Hamilton, sat next to me, either as an act of defiance or brought about sheer terror, let off a squeaker of a fart that pierced the silence. The class dissolved in a riot of laughter.

Only one really, relating to a little short French Master, dark hair and a thin spiv like moustache. We had a lad Smith, always known as Miffie, and this Master was alway picking on him until Miffie walked slowly from the back of the class and laID The Master out cold with one thump. Miffie walked out of school never to be seen or heard of again. The only other memory would be everyEnglish Clas and a full right hook from FRizzie Berrington... I've almost still got the scares !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1943 to 47 (app)

Current location (optional) Pembrokeshire

I think all my unforgettable moments have been reported as anecdotes on other threads. I've forgotten all the other unforgettable moments, sorry John ...... with the exception, that is, of having to squeeze past the lovely Susan on a very crowded staircase once.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

???Susan , Shaun ????

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral