KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Miscellaneous Photographs - "Over the wall".

Yes,Terry, that 'huge man of a boy' would have been J.M.Green(Mick), who was in my form all the way through my years at School. He appears on the 4B Class Photo of 1948 and if my memory serves me well, he was a butcher's son from Farnhill and went on to be a 'vet', as did Keith Midgeley who also appears on the same Class Photo.
Mick Green was 'a big lad' for his years and can be found on several School Rugby photos from 1946 to 1952. He was, of course, a forward.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

I was in the Town Centre this morning chatting to Derek Newiss amongst others, when I spotted a certain John H Learmonth approaching. I had previously spoken to him about a week or so ago, about him having been 'mentioned in despatches' on the KBGS website, and on this occasion I asked him directly if he had ever been Head Prefect. He replied,"No, but Mick Green had". So there you have it- 'straight from the horse's mouth'. He may well have given the impression to younger boys at School, that he was something a little more than a 'common or garden' Prefect, but he was never a 'Head'. So, you were right, Terry.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

David,
Thanks for putting the record straight. I doubt that he will remember me but I have never forgotten him.
Alan.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1949-1954

Current location (optional) Bingley