KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: crazes

We played Ringy, Holey (never called Nuggy where I lived) and just plain Marbles (not called Follow-ons as far as I can remember but the same game) with equal regularity depending on the place and time and number of players interested. I loved all of them and played whenever I could.
For Ringy and Holey you needed flattish dusty hard-packed earth to play on and "the spare ground" behind the old Co-op by the side of the park was perfect. It even had a couple of permanent holes for Holey. Marbles we played anywhere, but especially in the gutter or along a lane on the way to and from school. I can't add much to the rules of Ringy provided by Doug and Terry, except that with us Doug's "mens" operation was a punishment, not for fullocking (we never used that term either), but for allowing a marble fired by someone else to hit your foot (or shoe if you wore one). As for Holey, our rules were as follows. From a line about 15 feet away from the hole (6 inches diam. 3 or 4 inches deep) you took it in turns and the nearest to the hole got first chance at forefinger nudging-in any of the marbles around the hole. You carried on until you missed when the next nearest had a go, and so on. The winner was the person who holed the last marble and he pocketed all the marbles in the hole. So there was some scope for strategy, for instance not holing the nearest marbles first and not leaving a distant marble too near to the hole for the next player if there was danger he might finish.
I remember blood-alleys which were very rare and worth ten or more ordinaries, and glass-alleys which were just bigger and worth two or three.
And I remember a cousin from Denaby who came to visit and had a fantastic technique for flicking marbles down like bullets from a hand with just the knuckle of his little finger in contact with the ground.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme (garethwhittaker99@hotmail.com)