Rapture Flight to Heaven

​​​​​​​
Pre-Tribulation Rapture Forum ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

In Loving Memory
  April 29, 1947 - September 5, 2020

Update: On Saturday, September 5th, 2020, the founder, administrator, and head moderator of this forum, Valerie S., went Home to be with the Lord.  Her obituary can be found on https://memorials.demarcofuneralhomes.com/valerie-skrzyniak/4321619/index.php.

This posting is dedicated to the forever memory and honor of Valerie, who was the founder of, and the inspiration for, this Web site.  The Web site will continue to operate in Valerie's remembrance, as requested by her family.  God bless!

Dedicated to God  the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit​​​​​​​
1 Thessalonians 4:15-18

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.  For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air and so shall we ever be with the Lord.  Wherefore comfort one another with these words.     

​​​​​​​2 Timothy 4:7-8
For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing

PRE-TRIBULATION RAPTURE - MAIN Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How The Irish Saved Civilization

If you haven't read this little book, you must! A surprising story of how the little island of Ireland saved western civilization and the part that Patrick played in this. My family background is mostly Irish. My cousin has traced my maternal great-grandfather's family back to Antrim, Ireland in the 1600's. That of course caused this little book to stand out to me several years ago when I saw it on a book store shelf. It is an amazing history and story of what is truly the work of God thru the Irish missionaries. Here is an overview of the contents:

FAIR USE FOR INFORMATION AND DISCUSSION PURPOSES

How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill

The perfect St. Patrick's Day gift, and a book in the best tradition of popular history -- the untold story of Ireland's role in maintaining Western culture while the Dark Ages settled on Europe. Every year millions of Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but they may not be aware of how great an influence St. Patrick was on the subsequent history of civilization.

Not only did he bring Christianity to Ireland, he instilled a sense of literacy and learning that would create the conditions that allowed Ireland to become "the isle of saints and scholars" -- and thus preserve Western culture while Europe was being overrun by barbarians. In this entertaining and compelling narrative, Thomas Cahill tells the story of how Europe evolved from the classical age of Rome to the medieval era.

Without Ireland, the transition could not have taken place. Not only did Irish monks and scribes maintain the very record of Western civilization -- copying manuscripts of Greek and Latin writers, both pagan and Christian, while libraries and learning on the continent were forever lost -- they brought their uniquely Irish world-view to the task.

As Cahill delightfully illustrates, so much of the liveliness we associate with medieval culture has its roots in Ireland. When the seeds of culture were replanted on the European continent, it was from Ireland that they were germinated. In the tradition of Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror, How The Irish Saved Civilization reconstructs an era that few know about but which is central to understanding our past and our cultural heritage. But it conveys its knowledge with a winking wit that aptly captures the sensibility of the unsung Irish who relaunched civilization.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/073930965X/ref=asc_df_073930965X3017129?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1583-86-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=073930965X

Re: How The Irish Saved Civilization

Interesting, Susan, I never heard of this before. I learned something new today, and it's good to learn new things even at our age.

Thanks for sharing!

Valerie

Re: How The Irish Saved Civilization

Valerie, you would absolutely love this book. I could not put it down after I brought it home. I haven't read it recently so I think it would be good to go thru again. It is amazing to look back and see how small a hinge history turns on at times. One example - Noah and his family. All the future of mankind balanced on the lives of this godly man and his children. How small a hinge of history that was at the time. The advantage we have is that we live now and can look back over thousands of years and see these moments in time that forged the world into which we would be born. When we reach heaven I am sure we will be continually amazed as we hear, as Paul Harvey used to say, the 'rest of the story'.