The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Pop Journalism: 5 Best Madonna Albums

In my current searchings for Madge lists/list appearances, came across this, from 2005. There already are a few singles lists, but here's a ranked albums one:

POP LISTS
The Best of Madonna
We review the top five albums of Madge's career thus far
By Robert Ballantyne | Posted on December 14, 2005

Can I make a confession? Madonna was played a lot in my house as kid, so much so that I’d say she was my first musical influence.

Embarrassing, I know, but hey, I suppose I could have done a lot worse.

Fortunately, it’s okay to be a Madonna fan again with her latest album Confessions on a Dance Floor topping the charts, selling an impressive 74,000 copies in Canada during its first week of release.

It’s also the right time to steer listeners towards the best of Madge’s 20-year-plus musical output. Sure, the path has been rocky — stay clear from the dodgy Dick Tracy-inspired I’m Breathless — but also fruitful. Madonna’s most important works are also some of the best of the pop genre, as the following five albums prove.

1. The Immaculate Collection (1990)
One of the few perfect greatest hits albums, The Immaculate Collection is all killer and no filler. Every track represents the best pop music of its time, from the bouncy “Holiday,” to the controversy-baiting “Papa Don’t Preach,” all the way to the sleazy thrills of “Justify My Love” and “Rescue Me.” Even better is the fact that each track is presented in its original single form, remastered and remixed — the new mixes are very subtle, except for the beat-heavy version of “Like a Prayer.” Purists could quibble that the edits fade out too early, but if you want the longer, less vibrant originals, buy the albums. If you want the optimized essence of Madonna’s best career chapter, this is where you turn.

Key Tracks: “Justify My Love,” “Rescue Me,” “Vogue,” and “Like a Prayer”

2. Madonna (1983)
The debut album is the first and best of Madonna’s early carefree pop records and still sounds vital. Anyone who’s ever listened to radio will instantly know “Lucky Star,” “Holiday” and the classic “Borderline” by heart. However, you can clearly hear why Madonna was first a club star with in the underground hits “Physical Attraction” and “Burning Up.” Like the best dance cuts, those tracks absolutely reek of longing and lust, a perfect summation of the club rat that was pre-superstar Madonna.

Key Tracks: “Everybody,” “Holiday,” “Borderline” and “Physical Attraction”

3. Like a Prayer (1989)
After three studio albums of blissful pop, Like a Prayer is Madonna’s first serious record. The ambitious Prayer presents a smörgåsbord of pop, swaying from style to style and chock full of dark lyrical statements. As a result, the record lacks cohesion, which is its greatest strength, moving from the mysterious title track, to the anthemic “Express Yourself,” and later to the bubbly “Cherish.” The only disappointments are the collaborations with Prince, which should have been great, but instead yield the passé “Love Song” and the embarrassing closing jam of “Act of Contrition” which confusingly ends with the frustrated shout-out: “I have a reservation/What do you mean it’s not in the computer?!” Huh? Otherwise, this is Madonna reaching for the creative skies and pulling down stars.

Key Tracks: “Like a Prayer,” “Express Yourself,” “Cherish,” and “Oh Father”

4. Ray of Light (1998)
The comeback record that put Madonna back on the critical radar and yielded multi-platinum sales is her first mature album. Embellished with of-the-moment electronic tinsel from producer William Orbit, Madonna digged deep into motherhood, love, life and mortality like never before. Opening with the mournful rumination on fame, “Drowned World/Substitute for Love,” Ray of Light is set up perfectly, presenting a new kind of Madonna, thoughtful and established. She lets loose with the wicked “And I feel like I just got home” dance dirge that is the title track. The pinnacle is reached with the string-laden and lovelorn “Frozen,” one of the most compelling singles of her career. However, despite Light’s strengths, its heavy seriousness falters at times, like in the techno-Yoga-chant “Shanti/Ashtangi” and the strained imagery of “Candy Perfume Girl.”

Key Tracks: “Drowned World/Substitute for Love,” “Ray of Light,” “Frozen,” and “The Power of Goodbye”

5. Erotica (1992)
Madonna’s first concept album was overshadowed by the controversy surrounding her Sex book. Unjustly so. Erotica is one of Madonna’s finest records, from the twisted carnality of the title track, to the sardonic oral sex anthem “Where Life Begins” (”Colonel Sanders says it best/ Finger-lickin’ good”) and the morning-after regret of “Bad Girl.” The concept fortunately kept pace with the music, showcasing inspired hip-hop- and jazz-affected production, which came tied with undeniable hooks (”Deeper and Deeper” and “Rain” are underrated singles). This is Madonna’s at her best during a time when few took the time to listen.

Key Tracks: “Deeper and Deeper,” “Bad Girl,” “Erotica,” and “Rain”

Re: Sunday Times: Top 10 Madonna

STILL no love for "Oh Father", and fucking "Words" gets a top 10 mention?!

I know! OF definitely is one of her best tracks, yet got lost as a 4th single. But on a list like the above, definitely should have been cited, with albums tracks being cited and such.

How IGN left "Live to Tell" off there is another head-scratcher )same with "Into the Groove")- but, some strive for a tad of unpredictability, I guess.

I don't like Ray of Light.

how do these work at acclaimed music? it basically just changes her rankings among her own songs?

Yes, basically.

Make sure you have the "Durkin mix" of "Hung Up". The best Madonna song. She works hard, Madonner, to provide us with hits and live stage appearances. And sometimes one come across art.

I must have replied to one of the other posts in this thread- the Pop Journalism top 5 albums list appears *before* older posts. hehe