Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clash magazine - 50 greatest albums of our lifetime (since 2004)

From the supercool UK indie mag, this months April issue, voted for by staff & contributers, 1 album per artist (http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/clash-essential-50-number-10) :

50. The Killers - Hot Fuss
49. Kasabian - s/t
48. Deerhunter - Microcastle
47. Bat For Lashes - Fur & Gold
46. Vampire Weekend - s/t
45. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
44. Portishead - 3rd
43. Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
42. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
41. Santogold - s/t
40. Late Of The Pier - Fantasy Black Channel
39. Sigur Ros - Takk
38. Efterklang - Parades
37. Liars - Drums Not Dead
36. White Stripes - Get behind me Saturn
35. Hot Chip - The Warning
34. Fleet Foxes - s/t
33. Benga - Diary of an Afro Warrior
32. Feist - The Reminder
31. Broadcast - Tender Buttons
30. Battles - Mirrored
29. Klaxons - Myths of the near future
28. Tuning - Mother's Daughter & other songs
27. The Libertines - s/t
26. Kanye West - The College Dropout
25. Apparat - Walls
24. Burial - s/t
23. Gallows - Orchestra of wolves
22. Caribou - The Milk of Human kindness
21. Broken Social Scene - s/t
20. Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
19. Soulwax - Nite Versions
18. The Bug - London Zoo
17. Brain Wilson - Smile
16. Isolee - We are monster
15. My Morning Jacket - Z
14. Franz Ferdinand - s/t
13. Joanna Newsom - Ys
12. Modeskelektor - Hello Mom!
11. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
10. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
9. J Dilla - Donuts
8. Arctic Monkeys - Wahtever People Say I Am...
7. M.I.A. - Arular
6. LCD Soundsystem - s/t
5. The Knife - Silent Shout
4. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
3. Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
2. Radiohead - In Rainbows
1. Arcade Fire - Funeral

Re: Clash magazine - 50 greatest albums of our lifetime (since 2004)

Reasonably good list. Kings of Leon at number 3 is sure to draw a few comments. the absence of the National from the list is my biggest quibble though.

Is this a magazine for the five-year-old crowd?

I'm starting to think that the National is a bit boring. Anyone else agree?

I actually think this is a really good list, and you can't really disagree with their 1 and 2. They almost had my 1-2-3, except I guess they think Kings of Leon are better than TV. Also, exciting to see Merriweather so high so early.

Actually Paul, I'd be interested in hearing what your experience is with their music. I only have "Boxer," but the word "grower" is mentioned every time you read about them. If you've only listenend to one of their albums a couple of times, you owe it to yourself to give them a few more listens. Here's from the Onion review: "To those with time for only a passing glance, it could conceivably come across as dull..." Boxer, at least, takes several listens to reveal its hooks, but they are there, and they're not boring.

One of the better lists I've seen. A lot of my faves: Silent Shout, Ys, Third, etc.

Boxer is an omission, and I would have gone with Sound of Silver over LCD s/t. But most of my top few favorites are there.

Anyone want to lay odds on MPP debuting in the AM top 100? I guess it depends whether it makes it in on an update before the end of decade lists come out.

I'd add "I am a Bird Now" and "I'm Wide Awake, it's Morning" to the list. And the Artic Monkeys? Does anyone actually like that album? I have 21 of these; I'd be interested in how many everybody else has.

i don't get the arctic monkeys that much. i mean, they're alright, but not that high up!

I'd take Artic Monkey's over Ys anyday. That album is so Lilith Fair. She's lucky she wasn't around in the 90s otherwise her career would have been spoiled by touring with Sarah Mclaughlin instead of being saved by Steve Albini.

I dont really understand the point of these lists that are restricted to one album per artist. I think that the quality of the list is compromised straight away.

Fine little list here.

Excited to see Late Of The Pier and J Dilla! Along with Sound Of Silver over their s/t album, I would've picked Burial's Untrue over his s/t, but still a good list.

Beans
I dont really understand the point of these lists that are restricted to one album per artist. I think that the quality of the list is compromised straight away.

Agreed. The distinction is artificial. If every album Band Y makes is great, I'd rather see the list full of Band Y than an inferior one from Band Z for variety's sake.

ChrisF
I'd add "I am a Bird Now" and "I'm Wide Awake, it's Morning" to the list. And the Artic Monkeys? Does anyone actually like that album? I have 21 of these; I'd be interested in how many everybody else has.

I don't have a lot of available $$ these days so I only actually OWN 3 of these. If we add in ones I liked well enough to have them in a digital form, then the number rises to 12. And the Arctic Monkeys IS one of those since you asked.