Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The 60 best Swedish albums of all time (1997)

This list was published by Nöjesguiden and compiled from individual top 10's from a large group of Swedish critics and artists.

Every now and then I read that Jakob Hellman's "...och stora havet" was voted the best Swedish album of all time and this is the list that people are referring to, yet the list hasn't been available for a long time on the web. So it's about time to change that, as this is truly an excellent list of what's good in Swedish music until 1997. (As if anyone cares, ha!)

1. Jakob Hellman - ...och stora havet (1989)
2. Ebba Grön - We're Only in It for the Drugs (1979)
3. Jan Johansson - Jazz på svenska (1962)
4. Bob hund - Bob hund (1994)
5. Pugh Rogefelt - (Ja dä ä dä!) (1969)
6. John Holm - Sordin (1972)
7. Ulf Lundell - Den vassa eggen (1985)
8. ABBA - Arrival (1976)
9. Monica Zetterlund & Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby (1964)
10. Bob hund - Omslag: Martin Kann
11. The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Welcome to the Infant Freebase (1996)
12. Ebba Grön - Kärlek & uppror (1981)
13. Di Leva - Rymdblomma (1989)
14. Magnus Uggla - Va ska man ta livet av sig för när man ändå inte får höra snacket efteråt (1977)
15. Eric Gadd - On Display (1993)
16. Cornelis Vreeswijk - Poem, ballader & lite blues (1970)
17. Peps Blodsband - Hög standard (1975)
18. Stina Nordenstam - ...And She Closed Her Eyes (1994)
19. Nationalteatern - Livet är en fest (1974)
20. Docent Död - Docent Död (1980)
21. Problem - Problem (1978)
22. Wilmer X - Mambo feber (1991)
23. Union Carbide Productions - In the Air Tonight (1987)
24. Cornelis Vreeswijk - Tio vackra visor och personlige Persson (1968)
25. Entombed - Wolverine Blues (1993)
26. Fred Åkerström Trio CMB - Glimmande nymf (1974)
27. Di Leva - Vem ska jag tro på? (1987)
28. Titiyo - This Is Titiyo (1993)
29. Kent - Verkligen (1995)
30. Lill Lindfors - Du är den ende (1967)
31. Peps Blodsband - Peps Blodsband (1974)
32. Popsicle - Lacquer (1992)
33. Stina Nordenstam - Memories of a Colour (1992)
34. The Cardigans - First Band on the Moon (1996)
35. Eggstone - Vive La Différence (1997)
36. Union Carbide Productions - Financially Dissatisfied, Philosophically Trying (1989)
37. ABBA - Voulez-Vous (1979)
38. Docenterna - Tid och lust (1984)
39. Tages - Studio (1967)
40. Philemon Arthur & The Dung - Philemon Arthur & The Dung (1971)
41. Ulf Lundell - Längre inåt landet (1980)
42. Bear Quartet - Moby Dick (1997)
43. Union Carbide Productions - From Ignorance to Influence (1991)
44. John Holm - Veckans affärer (1976)
45. Eldkvarn - Himmelska dagar (1987)
46. The Latin Kings - Välkommen till förorten (1994)
47. Eva Dahlgren - En blekt blondins hjärta (1991)
48. Gyllene tider - Gyllene tider (1979)
49. Olle Ljungström - Olle Ljungström (1993)
50. Sator - Slammer! (1987)
51. Eldkvarn - Kungarna från Broadway (1988)
52. Reeperbahn - Venuspassagen (1981)
53. Pugh Rogefelt & Rainrock - Bolla & rulla (1974)
54. Wilmer X - Teknikens under (1988)
55. The Nomads - Hardware (1987)
56. Lars Gullin - Portrait of My Pals (1964)
57. Monica Zetterlund - Sakta vi gå genom stan
58. Bo Hansson - Sagan om ringen (1971)
59. Just D - Rock 'n' roll (1992)
60. Orup - Orupean Songs (1991)

Re: The 60 best Swedish albums of all time (1997)

I have read that you really have to understand Swedish to fully appreciate the Hellman album, is that true do you think?

Jakob Hellman sounds quite a lot like a Swedish Elvis Costello, and if you think you'd like Elvis in any language you'll definitely like Jakob as well.

Aw, c'mon, why shouldn't quite a few people care? If we include a handful of the Fins, there must be close to 20 million people in the world who know SOME Swedish.

Personally, I have the new Thåström album competing with Morrissey and Flaming Lips for the title of most frequently played disk in my office ghettoblaster. I bet it will be in many Danish EOY lists (but, admittedly, it may be bit bleak for someone who knows no Swedish at all -- a bit like hearing John Cale's Music for a New Society without knowing any English).

MUSIC FOR A NEW SOCIETY is pretty damn impenetrable even if English is your first language.

Where can I get MUSIC FOR A NEW SOCIETY?

I have been looking for this album for some time. I am currently not using illegal methods, but maybe I have to?

My copy of MUSIC FOR ... was a used CD I ordered on Amazon. There are a few available right now at both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, but they aren't cheap (neither was mine).

That's nothing compared to what sellers are charging for other out-of-print albums. I guess Dream Syndicate's MEDICINE SHOW is pretty hard to find, because the cheapest copy being sold via Amazon right now is going for $143.89. That's obscene.

Neneh Cherry is pretty influencial. Where would M.I.A be without her?

Neneh Cherry has a Swedish mother and a (well-known) American father. She was born in Sweden and raised both in Sweden and in the US, so I chose to categorize her as Swedish here at AM. But she moved to London when she was still quite young and has recorded all her music there, so I don't think the people voting in this poll had Neneh in mind.

However, Titiyo is listed and she is Neneh's half-sister.

Medicine Show

Jeez, Harold, I'll have to hold on tight to my worn cassette copy of "Medicine Show" :-)

(I wonder why Steve & the boys don't reissue the damn thing? Label problem? "Out of the Grey" *was* reissued, I forget if that was on a different label).

Actually I know very few of the albums listed above. But I was looking for the 1985 self-titled album from "Swedish Bunnymen" Camouflage (not to muddle with the German synthie-poppers of the same name!). Does anyone know this fine album?

You can download free live mp3's of nearly every track off Medicine Show on Steve Wynn's website. You can start with this concert from 1984:

http://stevewynn.net/wynntree_static.php?p=sdreams/sdreams10.html

I have a vinyl copy of Music for a New Society, bought it in an ols fashioned used records store for like 3 euro/dollar. Didn't know it was hard to find

It seems you have had fewer of those surveys in Sweden than we have here in Norway. Here, there will occasionally be a survey of best Norwegian albums ever, which has even caused "Splitter Pine", an album that, unlike Turbonegro and Motorpsycho, obviously has never been listed outside Norway, to enter the Acclaimed Music list.

Btw. I suppose the fact that this is a critics list explains the complete abscence of Roxette and Ace Of Base in the list. :)

judge yourself:

http://www.myspace.com/jakobhellman

personally i think docent död and reeperbahn are severly
underrated in the list above...

I would just say one thing : Sweden is fantastic !
I've recently purchased and loved 4 great swedish albums by 3 great swedish artists : "ta det lugnt" by Dungen (probably the best psychedelic record I've ever heard !), "when I said I wanted to be your dog" and "oh,you're so silent Jens" by Jens Lekman (a great songwriter that reminds me The Magnetic Fields a lot), and "writer's block" by Peter,Bjorn&John (with the hit single "young folks", one of my top 5 singles of 2006).
I would add to all these artists Mando Diao and The Concretes that make Sweden one of the best country of pop music.

We offer a wide range of services to keep your truck on the road, including engine repairs, transmission repairs, electrical diagnostics, and brake repairs, among others.
tents and canopies rental