Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results part 4 (the top 20)

Jimi Hendrix – Are You Experienced (1967)

3226.45 points

AM 3000 rank : 12

Appeared on 35 ballots / 68

Fans: BillAdama # 1, SR # 2, Rocky Racoon # 3, Chevi # 7, Michael # 9, pmickey # 9, Tim O # 13, Mindrocker # 13, Henry # 13, Michael P # 14, schwah # 14, Alex D # 15, Ramone666 # 17, Jem # 17

Moderator:
Our first entry in the top 20 is a rising star. Hardly in the top 100 in 2005 (95) it was the forum’s 28th favorite album in 2008. Hendrix is one of the big satisfactions of this poll, and was high on a lot of newcomer’s lists. Yes, Jimi was high (most of the time).

Rocky Raccoon:
It hangs together extremely well as a whole, but each individual track stands out on it's own, too. Perhaps the greatest collection of songs that isn't a greatest hits anthology.

Nassim:
I have some "first albums" ranked higher in my list, but none (not even Led Zeppelin) ever showed more deserved confidence than this one, none (not even VU&Nico) has ever been that out of time (with the title song still seeming 10 years in advance to any release of this year), none show a broader palets of emotions and styles. This is not my favourite first album ever, but I would say that it is the best ever.

Jackson:
Jimi Hendrix had everything necessary to make one of the best debut albums ever: ambition, talent, and swagger. This collection of songs still rocks as hard today as it did 40+ years ago, and this rightfully began Hendrix's pervasive influence on the rock world.

Re: AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results part 4 (the top 20)

Go go, go Jimi go go

While six less people felt inclined to include Are You Experienced on their list as Rubber Soul, I find it encouraging that so many people put the record so highly. Track for track Are You Experienced simply cannot be beat (while, maybe Revolver....) and I'm so happy it was able to break through into the hallowed halls of the T20 thread.

I've just discovered a small mistake that doesn't affect the top 100..
But Merriweather Post Pavillion is now 107 instead of 108.

I'm taking a break now. Sorry, no more entries for a while.

Of course, there are two versions of ARE YOU EXPERIENCED; albums in the U.K. often didn't include singles (cf. The Beatles), and the U.K. version of AYE omits "Purple Haze," "Hey Joe," and "The Wind Cries Mary" but contains three tracks ("Can You See Me," "Remember," and the classic blues cut "Red House") that were left off the American release to accommodate those classic singles.

The CD reissue of the album contains -everything-, including the original B-sides of the British singles. I wish more album reissues were put together with so much consideration. I'm thinking specifically of the Clash's debut - why, oh, why couldn't they simply have added the singles that fleshed out the 1979 U.S. version as bonus tracks to the reissued U.K. original instead of releasing separate CDs of BOTH versions?

The Are You Experienced Reissue is the the gold standard by which all other reissues must be measured with. I don't think Jimi ever recorded a weak track, so the more the better.

Harold Wexler
Of course, there are two versions of ARE YOU EXPERIENCED; albums in the U.K. often didn't include singles (cf. The Beatles), and the U.K. version of AYE omits "Purple Haze," "Hey Joe," and "The Wind Cries Mary" but contains three tracks ("Can You See Me," "Remember," and the classic blues cut "Red House") that were left off the American release to accommodate those classic singles.

The CD reissue of the album contains -everything-, including the original B-sides of the British singles. I wish more album reissues were put together with so much consideration. I'm thinking specifically of the Clash's debut - why, oh, why couldn't they simply have added the singles that fleshed out the 1979 U.S. version as bonus tracks to the reissued U.K. original instead of releasing separate CDs of BOTH versions?

Because they want you to have to buy both.

SR
While six less people felt inclined to include Are You Experienced on their list as Rubber Soul, I find it encouraging that so many people put the record so highly. Track for track Are You Experienced simply cannot be beat (while, maybe Revolver....) and I'm so happy it was able to break through into the hallowed halls of the T20 thread.

Third Stone from the sun is pure magic. I'm sure this will be the highest of the 60s west coast genre. No love for the Byrds or Jefferson Airplane. Too bad. Too many of you don't know what you're missing!

Bob Dylan – Blood On The Tracks (1975)

3289.99 points

AM 3000 rank : 12

Appeared on 36 ballots / 68

Fans: Ramone666 # 2, Tim O # 2, otisredding # 5, snusmumrik # 7, Peter # 9, Stephan # 10, Michael P # 12, Henry # 12, Nick # 13, Harold W # 13, Michael P # 15, Chevi # 16, Paul # 17, Jonathon # 20

Moderator:
Consistency is the word for this album’s performance. An impressive number of people had it in their top 20, and very few at the botttom of their list. And it’s the first time it breaks the top 20, after ending the 2 previous polls in the twenties.

Nicolas:
I love this Dylan, more personal, bittersweet, more sincere too (written as his couple was going apart) , as if the mask had dropped for a while. But not completely, of course. Dylan stays the Jack of Hearts he always was;

Jackson:
The rest of the album never really catches up to the amazing opener "Tangled Up in Blue," but really, how could it? The lyrics on this album, even by Dylan standards, are absolutely faultless.

Neither #19 nor #20 were on my list, but they are everlasting classics that deserve their position.

Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On (1971)

3301.61 points

AM 3000 rank : 6

Appeared on 38 ballots / 68

Fans: Vgrd # 3, Antonius # 4, Greg # 4, Alex D # 5, pmickey # 6, Michael P # 8, Jem # 12, Georgie # 14, Honorio # 16, schaefer t # 16, Lagire # 17

Moderator:
12 slots behind its AM ranking (that improved with the new update), this immortal soul album does better than in 2008 (22) but can’t reach its 2005 position (15)

Honorio
Viewed with the incredulous and cynical eyes of the ones living in the XXI Century and knowing that after Vietnam came Afghanistan, Nicaragua, Bosnia and Iraq and the masters of war continue doing what they want, the message of “What’s Going On” reveals naïve and innocent. But this fact didn’t prove untrue that “war is not the answer / for only love can conquer hate”.

Nicolas:
I love albums that can be listented to as a whole, where the music flows from song to song like this. So classious. Both mystic and sexual (not a paradox). Marvin you're still alive.

I'm happy to see What's Going On so high. It's my father's favorite non-jazz album, and I have great memories listening to it with him.

I'm just glad we got a good album cover after a couple rather lackluster ones!

Yes, great cover art, that's true!

I'm actually a bit surprised my #1 album,The Queen Is Dead hasn't appeared yet. I would have thought with more voters,it's placing would be lower. Great to see it up high still,beating it's AM placing...

Nirvana – Nevermind (1991)

3302.03 points

AM 3000 rank : 3

Appeared on 39 ballots / 68

Fans: Schaefer t # 1, Chris # 2, lagire # 2, Pmickey # 4, Jonathon # 7, Rocky Racoon # 12, Dr Robert # 13, Steven # 17, SR # 17, Nick # 18, BillAdama # 18, Hauke # 19, Harold W # 19, Michael P # 20

Moderator:
Only 0.42 point above Marvin Gaye ! I recounted the votes because Nevermind won its rank like W in Florida !

Jackson:
It's hard not to like this album. To do so, you'd be denying one of the best-written, best-structured, and most-accessible alternative albums ever created. Half of these songs are still played every day on alternative radio stations, and deservedly so. All three band members were at their peak here, with Kurt Cobain proving he is equally adept at writing rock anthems ("Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Come as You Are") and songs with darker undertones ("Polly").

Rocky Raccoon:
Punk infused with a healthy dose of pop sensibilty, no other album could have broken "alternative" through to the mainstream.

Jon Marck:
Just that this album knocked Michael Jackson out of the #1 spot is alone enough to earn it legendary status. That it's one of the best albums of the grunge era is icing on the cake. Skip the overplayed singles "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are", "Nevermind"'s excellence is found on its less celebrated tracks. "Breed", "On a Plain" and "Stay Away" are all indispensable while "In Bloom", "Lithium" and "Something in the Way" prove that just because it's a single doesn't mean it's bad.

and that's all for tonight

But W didn't win in Florida.

can't wait til summer 2010 when nic finally reveals the top 5...!

I like it drawn out... brings suspense :)

simply because i won't live that long...

I think he's been going at a great pace, with daily updates to keep us interested but not too many albums at a single time. And honestly, anyone familiar with the results of the two previous forum polls could predict the top five pretty easily.

It's easy to figure out what the next 16 will be. What I'm really looking forward to seeing is the individual lists (and the stats). That's where new discoveries can be made.

nj

Netjade? What are you talking about?

Paul
It's easy to figure out what the next 16 will be.

If you want guys I can stop right now

It's a lot of work and I have little time.

And now I don't want to make any mistakes so I'm doing a lot of checkings before revealing the results (and you'll understand why by paying attention to some point differences)

By the way, as I said before I'm gonna let YOU do some of the stat job, and I'll need some help to post the individual lists, or I'm gonna get fired and my wife will file for divorce

after all is done I'll post the spreadsheet and let you play around with.

More results today, I hope I can get to 11...

I promise it'll be over by the end of the week

nicolas

This list goes to 11...

Sorry, I just referenced it in another thread and I couldn't resist.

nicolas
If you want guys I can stop right now

Well, I can't figure out the order, just what the albums are. You're doing great.

Harold Wexler
nicolas

This list goes to 11...

There's something I don't get here...

Arcade Fire – Funeral (2004)

3331.63 points

AM 3000 rank : 55

Appeared on 38 ballots / 68

Fans: pop elton # 2, Beans # 3, Michael # 7, Penguin # 9, Chris # 10, Nassim # 12, Michael P # 12, SR # 14, VanillaFire1000 # 15, Brose # 17, Jackson # 17, Chevi # 18, Harold Wexler # 18, Marc # 19

Moderator:
Just like it did in AM 3000's new update, this album is rising with the years : in the fourties in 2005, 20 in 2008. It stayed in the top 15 for a long time but had a difficult finish (being in none of the 4 last voters' lists). You'll notice that in this section (between # 18 and # 12), it is really really tight, and every single vote was decisive.

VanillaFire1000 :
A lot of people compare Funeral in Areoplane, and I see those similarities. But I didn't know what this album really was until I played it for my dad. When it was over, he said to me "Its pretty good. Its like the best part of The Velvet Underground and Fleetwood Mac." I was literally stunned after he said it, he made it so obvious. The rawness, the rock n' roll heart and energy of VU, smoothed out (in a good way) with the beauty, lovesickness, and desperation of FM.

Moonbeam:
Resonating throughout is a sense of true mourning, even in the quixotic moments where the album soars to lofty heights. Funeral came about at a time when I first lost some truly huge people in my life (my dad and both grandmothers), and it offered an emotional blueprint for my grief.

Jon Marck:
In July 2004 I saw the Arcade Fire perform at the side stage of a small Guelph, Ontario folk festival. The next spring they opened for U2. It all happened because in August 2004 they released “Funeral” to a glowing 97% Pitchfork review, and quickly became THE band of 2005, going from small campus pubs to international arenas in a matter of months. They deserved every bit of acclaim. With the four-part Neighborhood suite and other songs such as "Rebellion" and "Wake Up" Arcade Fire crafted a heavily rhythmic tribute to nostalgia and loss. Gang choruses, parade-style performances and string sections accentuated the weepy anthems with unmatched beauty. High-brow yet blue-collar, brave yet fragile, weathered yet youthful, the Arcade Fire showed it just takes one great album.

What a great finish for my favorite album of the last ten years! I feel like there' s something really remarkable about Funeral, and I have a feeling that next time we run this list it can crack my T10. It's a true album's album, and flows like few others. After the intensity of the first two neighborhood tracks comes the somber (but still beautiful) Une Annee Sans Lumiere, and then picks right up again with one great song after another. Rebellion is of course the climax, only Arcade Fire understands that after such an thrilling journey, the listener needs some time to cool off; hence the closer, the achingly beautiful In the Backseat.

nicolas
Harold Wexler
nicolas

This list goes to 11...

There's something I don't get here...

"C'est la poñction lombaire" nicolas ^^ ses batteurs morts, ses pods qui ne s'ouvrent pas, ses amplis qui montent à 11...

Funeral deserves its probable rank of best album of the decade, it has all the qualities you can wish from a pop/rock album. I shiver every time I listen to Wake Up, will be on my top 10 songs on the future poll. (but Rebellion on the other hand is the only song I don't like much on the album... I don't get why it is supposed to be the acclaimed one)

I wasn't listed as a fan, but Funeral was my #13 -- it's my #2 of the decade behind Discovery and just edging out Gimme Fiction (I seem to be the only one to prefer that to Kill the Moonlight, Girls Can Tell, and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga).

sorry schwah, I forgot to mention you as a fan, but your points were counted for sure !

there are so many of you now in the fan section that I might forget names. Please tell me if you're not mentioned !

The Rolling Stones – Exile On Main St. (1972)

3391.05 points

AM 3000 rank : 8

Appeared on 37 ballots / 68

Fans: Peewee # 1, Antonius # 3, Jonathon # 3, Ramone666 # 3, Tim O # 4, Michael # 6, Greg # 6, Nick # 11, Michael P # 13, Brose # 13, Stephan # 14, BillAdama # 15, Mark # 15, pmickey # 17, Sonofsamian # 18, Jem # 19, Rocky Racoon # 20

Moderator:
The most acclaimed of the Stones' albums for critics and AMers. Like Funeral, it started very well, settling at # 12 for a long time, but had a terrible finish. Note that it's a bull : # 33 in 2005, 18 in 2008. There's still love for rootsy rock, after all, even if this album lost ground in the new update.

Rocky Raccoon:
Their sleaziest, grimiest set of songs, and that's what they did so well.

Jon Marck:
The Stones’ most difficult album is their strongest. Never an album band, it took complete detachment from both the industry and their native country for the iconic rock group to turn out their most consistent effort. "Rocks Off" and "Tumbling Dice" are understated masterpieces while "Happy" slips through on a thunderous horn arrangement.

#15!!!!!!!!!

IMO, the most wide-ranging and formally perfect album in rock history. Nothing of human life is not contained in these songs: sex, love, betrayal, loss, obsession, elation, mystery, faith, depression, wit. And nothing in rock music is not captured in the amazing stylistic range of the songs -- flat out rock, pop, gospel, blues, folk, R&B, soul, and more. All of these disparate thematic and musical ideas united by the famously ragged, loose-limbed delivery where every member of the band is working at his peak. Best. Album. Ever.

Peewee
#15!!!!!!!!!

IMO, the most wide-ranging and formally perfect album in rock history. Nothing of human life is not contained in these songs: sex, love, betrayal, loss, obsession, elation, mystery, faith, depression, wit. And nothing in rock music is not captured in the amazing stylistic range of the songs -- flat out rock, pop, gospel, blues, folk, R&B, soul, and more. All of these disparate thematic and musical ideas united by the famously ragged, loose-limbed delivery where every member of the band is working at his peak. Best. Album. Ever.

you should be happy for 15! a lot of other people's #1's (mine included) were a lot lower. but i agree, what a fantastic album.

I only voted for two of the last 6 but I agree that they are wonderful albums

Well, we all know which are the 14 albums left ( 7 of them are in my top 20 ) but i can't wait to see the final position!
My 4 favourites haven't showed up yet (cross fingers).

And I was surprised that so many people ranked Funeral higher than me .

I always am surprised that there is widespread acclaim for Exile. Not that I don't appreciate it, but it's a long album filled with bluesy, roots rock. They aren't catering to anybody but fans of that style. Yes, it's probably one of the best roots rock albums ever, but as a person who doesn't really care for that style (and I know I'm not the only one) it's really surprising to me that it gets such widespread acclaim. IMO, a couple of their other albums are more accessible and just as good. But, again I'm not knocking the album, just saying why it doesn't get higher and voicing surprise that it's as high as it is.

"Funeral" is amazing. It absolutely deserves its high rank, and in a few years, it might be as acclaimed by critics as it is here.

2 of my top 10 left, 5 of my top 20.

Since Exile is my #1 album, it won't surprise you that I don't agree with this assessment. The album is not that long -- not even 70 minutes, I don't think. There's only one song that is over 5 minutes (Let It Loose) and 11 of the 17 songs under under 4 minutes. To me, the album just races by.

And I wouldn't describe the album as just roots rock. That description to me evokes something that is exclusively steeped in a certain style, like an Allman Brothers or Ry Cooder album. What I love about Exile is the variety of styles, yet the uniformity of sound. Songs like Rocks Off, Happy, and All Down the Line are great straightforward rock songs. Other songs -- Loving Cup being one of my favourites -- have great sexual swagger. And the gospel tinged Let It Loose and Shine a Light are so moving and powerful.

I love the Stones, and put Let It Bleed and Beggar's Banquet on my top 100 list as well (Sticky Fingers qualifies too but I couldn't bring myself to put four albums by one artist on my list), but each of those albums, great as they are, has a track or two I don't like. Sticky Fingers suffers very slightly from being so scattershot in its sound, which comes from it not exactly being conceived as a proper studio album. What I love about Exile is that every song is great, the album just keeps rolling forward, and the cumulative effect is of a real journey. Like all great albums (from Born to Run to Hwy 61 Revisited to Electric Ladyland), when you finish listening to it you feel like you've heard a whole statement about an artist's view of the world, seen through music. Other albums seem like an appetizer or entree -- Exile is a whole meal.

Penguin
"Funeral" is amazing. It absolutely deserves its high rank, and in a few years, it might be as acclaimed by critics as it is here.

Of course, here we are years ahead of the critics .

5 of my top 10 are remaining (*bite his nails with expectation*).

Schwah
I wasn't listed as a fan, but Funeral was my #13 -- it's my #2 of the decade behind Discovery and just edging out Gimme Fiction (I seem to be the only one to prefer that to Kill the Moonlight, Girls Can Tell, and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga).

You're not alone Schwah, Gimme fiction is definitely my favourite Spoon album, I have it at #74 on my list. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga also makes an appearance later on.

The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead (1986)

3415.33 points

AM 3000 rank : 27

Appeared on 37 ballots / 68

Fans: Midaso # 1, Octopus # 3, Mitchell Stirling # 4, Chris # 4, Dr Robert # 4, Honorio # 7, Lagore # 12, Jackson # 13, Nick # 15, Bruno # 15, Michel # 16, Greg # 17, Jacek # 18, Jem # 20,

Moderator:
It could seem like a surprise to see the Smiths so high when you look at their AM rank (27). But Amers in general have always been fond of Morrissey’s old band, and this year The Queen Is Dead finishes right between his 2005 and 2008 scores. 2005 : 10; 2008 : 16

Honorio
Morrissey is a polarizing artist, no doubt. You love him or you hate him, there’s no middle ground. And I am one of the first group, of course. All his weapons are showed to maximum impact on “The Queen Is Dead”: anger and sarcasm (“Frankly Mr. Shankly”, “The Queen Is Dead” ), provocation and humour (“Vicar in a Tutu”, “Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others” ), self-pity (“Never Had No One Ever”, “I Know It’s Over” ) and, of course, his very own brand of impetuous romanticism (“There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” ).

Jackson:
The Smiths would be primarily remembered as a singles band if it wasn't for the undeniable brilliance of this 1986 LP. Almost every cut on here sounds like it could have been a single. The songs range from the humorous ("Some Girls are Bigger than Others") to the serious ("I Know It's Over") to the sublime ("There is a Light That Never Goes Out"). Even the Smiths' many compilations are never this good.

Moonbeam:
This album represents one of the definite peaks of post punk power, becoming an album of the ages. It is at once tortured, humorous, mournful, cheeky and thrilling. As such, The Queen Is Dead is the Smiths' most electrifying rollercoaster of a listen.

I think The Queen is Dead is the only no filler The Smiths album. It also contains The Boy with the Thorn in his Side and There is a Light that Never Goes Out, two of the best songs ever-written. It's higher here than it was on my list, but that's not really a surprise, and it's absolutely deserved.

What really surprises me is that we haven't seen Born to Run yet. With that and Darkness on the Edge of Town in the 70s, the Boss had a really good poll.

SR
What really surprises me is that we haven't seen Born to Run yet. With that and Darkness on the Edge of Town in the 70s, the Boss had a really good poll.

I would expect it (or the last representant of the 80s) to come next. I expected it to crack the top 20 given the strong support it already had before the 70s poll and the new lovers it won there, did not expect it to beat Exile or Funeral though.

Bruce Springsteen – Born To Run (1975)

3496.07 points

AM 3000 rank : 18

Appeared on 35 ballots / 68

Fans: Alex D # 2, otisredding # 3, nicolas # 3, Penguin # 4, Peter # 5, Stephan # 5, Midaso # 7, Michael # 8, VanillaFire1000 # 9, Henry # 11, Honorio # 18, Dr Robert # 18, Brose # 18, pmickey # 19, SR # 19, Tim O # 19

Moderator:
A big surprise, indeed, SR, but I won’t break my neutrality (it’s hard). The boss had a great finish because I remember he spent most of the poll in and out of the top 20, around #20. Not only Bruce does better than his AM rankings with Darkness and Born To Run but he beats his AM polls record : he did 185 in 2005 (a shame ?) and 29 in 2008. And its does so featuring in “only” 35 ballots, a small number at this stage...

Nicolas:
In one of the best covers of all time, this monumental album is an ode to dedication, to hard work. Bruce put all his strength in the making of Born To Run, working for six months on the title-song, and when he heard the record for the first time he just threw it out the window. But all this perfectionism, this production that sometimes goes over the top, would be nothing without his writing skills. “Thunder Road”, “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out”, “Born to Run”, “Jungleland”, or more intimate ballads like “Meeting Across The River” are some of his best songs ever, odes to youth that’s passing, and the will to escape that became one of his obsessions.

Honorio
“Born to Run” represents the culmination of the first Springsteen, the one of the adolescent urgency (“Thunder Road” ), of the street-gangs epics (“Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out” ), of the cheaters glory (“Meeting Across the River” ), of the nocturnal life agitation (“Night” ), of the romanticism of the alleys (“Backstreets” ), where “the girls combs their hair in rear-view mirrors / and the boys try to look so hard”.

Jon Marck:
Springsteen was a high profile artist but he still hadn't broke. Well, this album broke him twice: once mainstream, the other in the bank, but don't worry about the Boss. He's doing quite well, even if heartbreak ballads "Thunder Road" and "Jungleland" speak otherwise.

The real question is whether or not Bruce will play at Christie's inauguration. While the two stand at opposite sides of the political spectrum, they could spin it as "uniting for New Jersey" or something along those lines. Plus, Christie is a true fan; he's seen more than 200 Springsteen concerts.

At this point I just want to say that if you don't know the top 12 by now, then this must be your first day on the site. Anyways, I'm still really looking forward as to how those 12 place. The way I see it, there are 5 albums that all have an extremely good shot at number 1.

ChrisF
nj

Netjade? What are you talking about?

i'm a senior, hence the grim reaper already lurks around my record collection.. that i also feel my ears fadin' at this very moment doesn't make it any easier

allright guys

Now that every one can guess the top 12, I'll allow bets but one album at a time, no lists; WE'll do it rank by rank, you'll have to guess the next album only.

So, who do you think will be # 12 ? (do quick, I'm posting it soon)

My guess is Ziggy Stardust.

Keith
My guess is Ziggy Stardust.

Definately going to be Doolittle. DEBASER!!!

it's going to be Doolittle. I can feel it.

that would be my guess(t), too..

Good guess

Pixies – Doolittle (1989)

3827.17 points

AM 3000 rank : 59

Appeared on 45 ballots / 68

Fans: Beans # 2, Peewee # 3, Michel # 4, Jackson # 5, Bruno # 6, Brose # 7, EdAmes # 8, lagire # 9, Dr Robert # 9, Tim E # 10, SR # 13, BillAdama # 17, nj # 19, Jacek # 20

Moderator:
Another regular of all our polls. Indie rock is big here, and the Pixies were one of his Fathers. This album won the 80’s poll, and after ending the 2005 poll at # 18 (if my memory’s good) it found its nest at the 12th slot in 2008 and had booked it for 2009 as well... If you look at the number of points (330 pts ahead of the Boss) and the number of voters as well (an impressive 45, shattering Rubber Soul record) you’ll notice we’ve really entered the Champion’s League now.

BillAdama:
There seems to be a cycle in rock music that, whenever music gets too glossy, overproduced and disconnected from it's audience, a band comes along to strip away all the glitz and make it rock again. The Ramones did it in the 70's, the White Stripes in the 00's, and the Pixies in the 80's.

Jackson:
This is the Swiss Army Knife of alternative albums, including every style and emotion you might want it to. You want bizzare lyrics and a surrealistic mood? Listen to "Debaser" and "Tame." You want songs with epic moments? Listen to the legendary "if the Devil is six, then God is seven" line of "Monkey Gone to Heaven" or the sublime guitar break of "Dead." You want heartfelt lyrics? "Hey" and "Gouge Away" are well-written and passionately performed. This album is so much more than the quiet/loud sound that critics label the Pixies with, instead encompassing all sorts of styles and arrangements. Somehow packing all of this in under forty minutes, Doolittle doesn't just encourage all-the-way-through listening, it demands it.

Jon Marck:
The Pixies followed “Surfer Rosa” with more gibberish. "La La Love You" may rank as their most cheerfully pointless composition. Since it was their second time through the process (not counting debut EP Come on Pilgrim) they were more efficient and achieved stronger results. This is best witnessed on "Debaser", "Wave of Mutilation", "Monkey Gone to Heaven" and "Here Comes Your Man", which the group had actually been playing since their very first gig. Tensions were mounting between Kim Deal and Black Francis as the band was reluctant to perform her not-so-stellar songs. While opening for U2 on the ZooTV tour this rift would widen to the point where Deal wouldn’t even talk to her bandmates.

Well, there's only one that doesn't appear in my top 60.

But i think it's gonna be between Peppers and Doolittle.

I'll go with Doolittle.

Edit: Damn, too late .

Then you'll have the night (or 8-10 hours) to guess the number 11, because I'm burn out and going to bed now.

Good night and see you tomorrow..

Posting pace is slower because I'm checking the points.
I've found 3 more mistakes so far, but very little ones with no effect on the top 100.

Sgt. Pepper's (it's more like a wish).

#11 is interesting... I would say it's between Ziggy, Blonde, and Sgt. Peppers, but which one it is would be anyone's guess. I'm going to make the ballsy prediction of Blonde on Blonde. I'm thinking Blood at #19 might have split some votes.

Maybe if you add back the et ade?

Doolittle = ChrisF #1.

Doolittle would've been nestling in pretty much that slot in my list had I joined up in time. Amazing record; it's very true that the pigeonhole of 'indie rock' belies its versatility in mood, texture, dynamics, genre and intensity. It's leapt from a record I enjoyed to one I cherished in a few short months. It's my favourite album of the 80s, and as I was born in '91 it stands out as a record that I don't have to engage with retroactively, applying the cultural and musical context that I have to do with, for example, some Dylan works; no, it is timeless and hits me as hard as I can imagine it would have done had I been 18 in '89.

Best of all, I got to see them play it live in its entirety last month!

I was sort of hoping one or two Beatles albums would be in that 20-12 run,but they weren't(sigh). Looks like 4 in the top ten again,bit over the top...

Ddiamondd
Doolittle would've been nestling in pretty much that slot in my list had I joined up in time. Amazing record; it's very true that the pigeonhole of 'indie rock' belies its versatility in mood, texture, dynamics, genre and intensity. It's leapt from a record I enjoyed to one I cherished in a few short months. It's my favourite album of the 80s, and as I was born in '91 it stands out as a record that I don't have to engage with retroactively, applying the cultural and musical context that I have to do with, for example, some Dylan works; no, it is timeless and hits me as hard as I can imagine it would have done had I been 18 in '89.

Best of all, I got to see them play it live in its entirety last month!

I think the AMG profile of the Pixies calls them "endlessly inventive." I think that's true of this album. So many great ideas. My all time fav.

If my recollection is correct, the remaining Beatles albums include: Abbey Road (my #1), Sgt. Peppers (my #3), Revolver (my #7), and the White Album (my #19). Perhaps most voters are just too comfortable placing the Beatles so high. If you want to make us less comfortable, arguments should be made about why these albums do not merit such high ratings.

I may need to reconsider rating Revolver as high as I have, but it would be difficult for me to move Abbey Road or Sgt. Peppers out of the top ten.

Great to see the Pixies so high. I'm shocked at the Bruce Springsteen rise. Maybe someday I'll get into him, but for now I can't even stand the title track of Born to Run.

As for number 11, I hope it's Sgt. Pepper's, but my guess is Blonde on Blonde. Bowie has been kicking ass in the 70s poll and Bracketology, so I think Ziggy Stardust will make the top 10.

I have not been listening to Doolittle for long, so far I already enjoy the following songs quite a bit: Monkey Gone to Heaven, Here Comes Your Man, Debaser, and Gouge Away. The interplay between the drums and guitar in La La Love You are pretty good; but the vocals have not yet won me over. Wave of Mutilation is starting to gain on me. But, I have not yet been wowed by the other tracks on the Album yet. Perhaps you could suggest some of the aspects of Mr. Grieves and Tame that I could strive to appreciate more thoroughly.

Henry
I have not been listening to Doolittle for long, so far I already enjoy the following songs quite a bit: Monkey Gone to Heaven, Here Comes Your Man, Debaser, and Gouge Away. The interplay between the drums and guitar in La La Love You are pretty good; but the vocals have not yet won me over. Wave of Mutilation is starting to gain on me. But, I have not yet been wowed by the other tracks on the Album yet. Perhaps you could suggest some of the aspects of Mr. Grieves and Tame that I could strive to appreciate more thoroughly.

"Hey" seems to be one of the most-loved songs on the album after the obvious ones. I didn't think much my first few listens to it, but then I realized how emotional it was, particularly the chorus and the guitar break in the middle. "Dead" has become a recent favorite of my due to the guitar riff that appears in the middle and again at the end. "I Bleed" has an excellent chorus and is a good showcase of the Pixies' much-discussed loud/quiet dynamics. As for the songs you said, "Tame" isn't really anything special to me, though I do like abrupt change of pace at the beginning of "Mr. Grieves"

Henry
If my recollection is correct, the remaining Beatles albums include: Abbey Road (my #1), Sgt. Peppers (my #3), Revolver (my #7), and the White Album (my #19). Perhaps most voters are just too comfortable placing the Beatles so high. If you want to make us less comfortable, arguments should be made about why these albums do not merit such high ratings.

I may need to reconsider rating Revolver as high as I have, but it would be difficult for me to move Abbey Road or Sgt. Peppers out of the top ten.

My own arrangement of Beatles albums used to look exactly like yours but i've since changed my mind. I think what it comes down to is that i've found that many other albums have far more interesting/complex arrangements and a greater emotional depth than some of the Beatles albums. I still love 'em and count them among my favorites, but i find too many weak tracks in Sgt. Peppers (Getting Better, Fixing a Hole, When I'm 64) for it to be really THAT great. Getting Better is a boring song to me, Fixing a Hole is irritating and When I'm 64 is just incredibly simple. That said, A Day In the Life is an amazing experiment that worked very well. My favorite albums by them are The White Album, Abbey Road, and MMT (i love "Flying" i have no idea why, i just think it's hilarious). I think another thing about Sgt. Peppers/ Revolver is that they try too much to put in one album and consequently it falls a little flat (more so with Sgt. Peppers, i really love Revolver too). The reason why I prefer the White Album is that they do everything without trying to make it sound like they should be taken as a formally perfect entity. They know it's all over the place and they don't care, they do it intentionally. Rubber Soul is a good album, but it's nothing more than pretty simple and straight forward pop/rock, nothing that i really think constitutes a masterpiece. People talk about "oh, they're maturing..." but i think that's an attribute given to Rubber Soul in hindsight, given their other superior albums. It's significantly better than their previous output, but their previous output weren't masterpieces anyways, so what does it matter? I feel like they make albums like i write critical analysis, there's lots of great stuff in there but it's incredibly scattershot and disorganized.

anyways, i'm sure this will incite a lot of venom and hatred towards me, though i hope it doesn't. All I'm saying is that the Beatles were a great band and as far as pop music goes they were probably the best, but i think other musicians have done better.

Jackson
Great to see the Pixies so high. I'm shocked at the Bruce Springsteen rise. Maybe someday I'll get into him, but for now I can't even stand the title track of Born to Run.

Even though The Boss is loved all around the world, I bet a good amount of his top support came from America. If you want to talk about the sound of America, he and the E Street band is it. Nothing else sounds like them. He does songs that speak to what alot of Americans (and I'm just gonna say white Americans here, hate to say things like that but I believe its true) think about our country, and the hopes and dreams of its people.

Born to Run's two sides both tell the same story.

1. Hope (Thunder Road and Born to Run)
2. Happiness (Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out & She's the One)
3. Desperation (Night & Meeting Across the River)
4. Loss (Backstreets & Jungleland)

I look at Born to Run like an epic poem: a historical legend filled with bombast.

Finally could catch up with all the results, and I'm glad I didn't miss the unveiling of the top 10! Wow, this has been a fantastic list, with many of my favorites climbing up from last poll results! Some nice surprises for me are the high ranks of The Joshua Tree, In Rainbows, The Stone Roses, Purple Rain, Fleet Foxes, the unexpected great "jumps" of Funeral and Born to Run, and, surely the best of it all, Innervisions achieving the 21st spot!!!
Now from my top 20 only my #1 is left (fingers crossed...).

I'm impressed with Schwah's favorite choices, all totally amazing albums! Must check out Discovery soon...

Well, I bet it's time for Ziggy Stardust to show up and repeat it's 2008 position. Hey, Honorio, luckily for you I'm not participating in this '70s poll, cause the same way Swordfishtrombones got the last place on my '80s poll list, I fear Ziggy would be the one this time! Nothing against you, right?

Henry
Perhaps you could suggest some of the aspects of Mr. Grieves and Tame that I could strive to appreciate more thoroughly.

Hmmm? For Mr. Grieves, I'd say (1) the back beat, (2) the "la la las," and (3) the big finish.

For Tame its the radical dynamic shifts (and the heavy breathing).

Seeing the boss in concert helped convince me even more of his greatness. Born to Run is a fantastic work. She's the One is my least favorite track, but it is still pretty darn good.

VanillaFire1000

Even though The Boss is loved all around the world, I bet a good amount of his top support came from America. If you want to talk about the sound of America, he and the E Street band is it. Nothing else sounds like them. He does songs that speak to what alot of Americans (and I'm just gonna say white Americans here, hate to say things like that but I believe its true) think about our country, and the hopes and dreams of its people.

Born to Run's two sides both tell the same story.

1. Hope (Thunder Road and Born to Run)
2. Happiness (Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out & She's the One)
3. Desperation (Night & Meeting Across the River)
4. Loss (Backstreets & Jungleland)

I look at Born to Run like an epic poem: a historical legend filled with bombast.

You've raised an interesting point.

First of all I'm probably the biggest Bruce fan here and as you probably noticed, I'm French.

Out of 35 voters for "Born to Run", 15 were non-American (42 percent)which is sizeable I guess.

It's something I've already heard from American people that the Boss is American-only. I heard the same about country music.

Well that's not true, at least for Bruce. All his shows are sold out in France, Germany, Holland, Spain, Britain, etc..

All those themes you've brillantly summarized are universal; much broader than the cars and girls caricature (remember Prefab Sprout ?) Springsteen lyrics encomapss a variety of subjects. Just like Clint Eastwood he may be very American but his works deals with issues that appeal to anyone : how we have to deal with our lives, our dreams and how they constantly crash against reality like waves on rocks.

The boss's American-ness is icing on the cake for me : it adds sort of an exotic touch. And he conveys the good part of the American dream in his own story : how a blue collar kid from Jersey could become a huge star just by his dedication to his works.

I know a lot of American people are not much interested in foreign cultures (I'm not talking of you of course VanillaFire, given your number 1 album I know you're not like that), so maybe you might think that the general public in Europe is the same.

Well America has still a strong appeal I guess.

But I have noticed that in some musical and critic circles in the US there's a strong love for British pop especially from the 80-90s, so this appeal for overseas music is shared on both sides of the pond, at least in music nerds communities.

Now I'm gonna stop preaching and get back to Excel spreadshit because I suppose you'd like to know what comes next...

nicolas

Now I'm gonna stop preaching and get back to Excel spreadshit because I suppose you'd like to know what comes next...

I hope not but I guess it will be Ziggy Stardust, my favourite album among the 11 remaining. (Which makes me realise that there is no album released before 96 in my current top 10 since I've dropped Paul's Boutique and Five leaves Left a few steps).
On the remaining 11, 2 are on my top 20, 2 between 50 and 100 and 2 further

The reason why I post so slowly has proved right.

I've discovered a mistake that changes the top 5 (and the lower reaches of the top 100).

I'll give you the updated list after all is done, now that I've checked the top more carefully.

the mistake involved you, nj...

Next will be Blonde on Blonde.

I can guess what the error is handled. Possibly Step by Step by New Kids On The Block is cast into the top 5. In the poll of 2008 and reached an estimable # 53

quote=Anthony]#53

IS THIS IT=

New Kids on the Block - STEP BY STEP (1990)

Total Points = 600

Appeared on 46 ballots (out of 47).

Fans: EVERYONE[/quote]

otisredding, you were right, I had forgotten them !

The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

3917.78 points

AM 3000 rank : 5

Appeared on 40 ballots / 68

Fans: Rocky Racoon # 1, Michael P # 2, pmickey # 2, Dr Robert # 3, Henry # 3, Hauke # 4, Nick # 5, Brose # 6, John # 7, Peter # 7, Jem # 8, Alex D # 8, SR # 9, VanillaFire1000 # 13, Jonah # 15, Schwah # 16

Moderator:
Sgt. Pepper is rolling down the slope, 2 ranks each poll, away from its AM position that it never reached : it was number 7 in 2005 and number 9 in 2008. Note that those last 2 polls saw 4 Beatles albums in the top 10.

Rocky Raccoon:
The perfect maelstrom of concept, imagination, creativity, experimentation and songwriting. Only an album like this could change the face of music.

I would have liked to see Sgt. Peppers in the T10, but I will say that every album that did make it absolutely deserves to do so.

who's next ? any guesses ?

London Calling or Blonde on Blonde

nicolas

I still guess Blonde on Blonde.

coming soon...

I'm almost finished with my bug chase. After that the top 10 will be safe as the presidential plane and things will go (a little) faster.

nicolas

I still hope I'm wrong but I would bet on Ziggy again ! (but I hope it's a Dylan album).

nicolas

You've raised an interesting point.

First of all I'm probably the biggest Bruce fan here and as you probably noticed, I'm French.

Out of 35 voters for "Born to Run", 15 were non-American (42 percent)which is sizeable I guess.

It's something I've already heard from American people that the Boss is American-only. I heard the same about country music.

Well that's not true, at least for Bruce. All his shows are sold out in France, Germany, Holland, Spain, Britain, etc..

All those themes you've brillantly summarized are universal; much broader than the cars and girls caricature (remember Prefab Sprout ?) Springsteen lyrics encomapss a variety of subjects. Just like Clint Eastwood he may be very American but his works deals with issues that appeal to anyone : how we have to deal with our lives, our dreams and how they constantly crash against reality like waves on rocks.

The boss's American-ness is icing on the cake for me : it adds sort of an exotic touch. And he conveys the good part of the American dream in his own story : how a blue collar kid from Jersey could become a huge star just by his dedication to his works.

I know a lot of American people are not much interested in foreign cultures (I'm not talking of you of course VanillaFire, given your number 1 album I know you're not like that), so maybe you might think that the general public in Europe is the same.

Well America has still a strong appeal I guess.

But I have noticed that in some musical and critic circles in the US there's a strong love for British pop especially from the 80-90s, so this appeal for overseas music is shared on both sides of the pond, at least in music nerds communities.

I see where you're coming from. Americans are very American-centered with their tastes and opinions: we like to claim things are our own because we are a collector nation. Americans (not including Native Americans of course) came from everywhere but here, we did not want to associate with those places anymore. As I'm trying to be a history teacher in New Jersey, and growing up here I know how American-centered the history classes are here: in New Jersey there needs to be an equivalent amount of US history classes mandated for every World history class. And all around the US many states do not mandate the teaching of World history. Americans look at Europe as EUROPE: the EU is one big country, when it really is like America where every state is very different.

Springsteen's themes may be universal, as almost all musical themes are. But his situations he sings about are distinctly American. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really doubt anything like the lyrics for "Nebraska" can come out of anywhere but America.

And I think this also goes back to a topic we mentioned earlier in the week about acclaimed albums being in English. When I listen to many non-English albums (mainly World, Son, Latin Jazz, and Afro-Blues) there really is a disconnect in my mind when comparing it to English albums. I looked at my top 200, there are only 4 non-English albums, when I know there should be more on there.

The Beatles – Abbey Road (1969)

4115.98 points

AM 3000 rank : 22

Appeared on 46 ballots / 68

Fans: Henry # 1, Peter # 2, David # 3, Georgie # 9, SR # 11, Penguin # 12, Jon Mark # 12, Steven # 12, Nicolas # 13, Nick # 14, Marc # 14, Jonathon # 15, pmickey # 15, Michael # 16, Alex D # 16, BillAdama # 17,

Moderator:
Now after 100 or so posts, I'm wondering if "moderator" is an English word..; Anyway, this album was picked by more than two voters out of three, which helps. It could have got even higher with a little more top 10 picks. And just like Sgt. Pepper, it's moving down from nb 5 to nb8 then to # 10 as polls go by. A decline of the Beatles ??

Jon Marck:
The Beatles' last recordings are their best. They have the best sound and arrangements and everyone actually sounds like they don't mind being in the same room with each other. In fact, Ringo hung around while the other three triple-tracked the vocals for "Because" not because he had to, just, because. Of course there are the tacky moments. Ol' whiny McCartney forced his aimless "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" almost to the front of the playlist and "Carry that Weight" is suspiciously similar to "Hey Jude", but he makes up for it with an incredible vocal performance on "Oh! Darling" and the humourous hidden ending, "Her Majesty". The other three Beatles are all in top form, with John and George each contributing two of their most memorable songs ("Come Together", "Something", "I Want You" and "Here Comes the Sun") and even Ringo wrote a tune that wasn't half bad ("Octopus's Garden"). The quartet were very aware their time together was ending so they made sure that everyone got a solo in "The End", marking the only drum solo in the Beatles catalogue. No goodbye was ever fonder.

Nicolas:
When I was 18, I bought a special issue of French newspaper Libération featuring a 1968-88 best of albums list made by 20 critics. That was my first list (and that was before my first girl, of course, because a nerd I already was ). Abbey Road topped that list so it was the first Beatles record I really listened to. And I loved it almost at once. What I love the most with the Beatles is their ability to radically change their sound with each album, and to stay themselves all the while. Their most cohesive effort to me (along with Revolver maybe), with the best album final I've never heard. They went out in style.

Jackson:
During their peak, the Beatles managed to pull off ideas that virtually any other 60s band would have failed miserably at. After dabbling in every genre possible with the White Album and continuing their wide success, the Fab Four managed to compose a continuous side-long 'song' while their band was falling a part without losing any quality. Songs like "I Want You (She's So Heavy) " and "You Never Give Me Your Money" may never be played on the radio, but they represent the Beatles at their creative apex.

Good . 7 albums in my top 20 are in the last 9. 5 of which are in my top 10, including my 4 all time favourites !

Next position: I think it will be Ziggy this time.

Number 1: Ok Computer (most likely), VU & Nico or H61R.

I really like the Beatles, but I can't say I'm upset at Sgt. Pepper's or Abbey Road dropping a little. It makes the top 10 more interesting, and lets some deserving albums rise. I think next up is Blonde on Blonde due to Bowie's recent dominance in forum polls.

As for the Bruce Springsteen discussion, I listened to Born to Run for the first time all the way through last night. I finally gained an appreciation for the title track, and I get what you guys are saying about the poetry of the album, but it still not something I could ever imagine myself listening to for fun or becoming a personal favorite. For me, the music of the album is just too bland, and I can't connect to Springsteen's obvious emotion.

As a 17-year-old American, I feel that the dominant demographic for Bruce is not with American voters, but older voters. I just can't picture anyone around my age listening to Bruce, and this is coming from a huge Bob Dylan fan (not exactly a teenager's typical favorite artist). I agree that country of origin shouldn't matter in the appreciation of most artists. For example, my favorite artist--The Kinks--are about as quintessentially British as you can get, yet I still relate to their songs and enjoy their music. I don't think what country an artist comes from is really a barrier to liking them (or even what language they speak, as Sigur Ros' popularity proves). However, I just know some artists are more popular with music fans of different ages, and Bruce Springsteen seems to be an artist that is harder for younger listeners to appreciate.

Beatles back-to-back - great stuff. I just have to wonder why The White Album always scores so high with so many voters. It just has so many average or below-average tracks. Even 69 Love Songs has less throwaway tracks IMO...

Jackson
I really like the Beatles, but I can't say I'm upset at Sgt. Pepper's or Abbey Road dropping a little. It makes the top 10 more interesting, and lets some deserving albums rise. I think next up is Blonde on Blonde due to Bowie's recent dominance in forum polls.

As for the Bruce Springsteen discussion, I listened to Born to Run for the first time all the way through last night. I finally gained an appreciation for the title track, and I get what you guys are saying about the poetry of the album, but it still not something I could ever imagine myself listening to for fun or becoming a personal favorite. For me, the music of the album is just too bland, and I can't connect to Springsteen's obvious emotion.

As a 17-year-old American, I feel that the dominant demographic for Bruce is not with American voters, but older voters. I just can't picture anyone around my age listening to Bruce, and this is coming from a huge Bob Dylan fan (not exactly a teenager's typical favorite artist). I agree that country of origin shouldn't matter in the appreciation of most artists. For example, my favorite artist--The Kinks--are about as quintessentially British as you can get, yet I still relate to their songs and enjoy their music. I don't think what country an artist comes from is really a barrier to liking them (or even what language they speak, as Sigur Ros' popularity proves). However, I just know some artists are more popular with music fans of different ages, and Bruce Springsteen seems to be an artist that is harder for younger listeners to appreciate.

hey jackson! i'm 18 and i LOVE bruce springsteen. keep giving him a chance, I suggest his TOTALLY underrated second album: The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle. It's really quite different from all his other stuff and after a little reflection, i think it might be my favorite bruce album, i really think it's his most creative album.

1) Born to Run is not the Bruce album to start with. Try "The Wild" or "Darkness"

2) Your theory of "only the old guys love Bruce" doesn't hold a sec. I started looking at his fans in the poll and MANY of them are in their teens or twenties. And btw thank you for associating old with bland
We all have artists we don't like and there's no special sociological reason for that, it's just like that. I don't like the Smiths and i love the boss but midaso loves the Smiths and the boss, Moonbeam don't like the Beatles, Nassim has no Dylan in his lists, etc... (I know all about you now haha )
But show me 2 Amers that don't have overlaps in their tastes...

Bob Dylan – Blonde On Blonde (1966)

4228.23 points

AM 3000 rank : 7

Appeared on 39 ballots / 68

Fans: Mark # 1, BillAdama # 2, Jonathon # 2, Rocky Racoon # 2, Honorio # 3, Michael # 3, Michael P # 3, Peter # 3, Stephan # 4, Paul # 5, Nick # 7, Jem # 7, Chevi # 10, Midaso # 17, Chris # 17, Ramone666 # 18, lagire # 18

Moderator:
7 ballots short of Abbey Road, the Dylan double LP manages to pass the last Beatles album. Just look at the fan section and you'll see why. Unfortunately the album had a difficult period in the end but in the beginning it spent some time at # 2 before going down slow.

Honorio
Dylan did not abandoned the automatic poetry of his previous two albums but he pointed toward more personal matters. The lyrics were cryptic and the music was messy but this was not only part of the charm but maybe its main appeal. He tried to find a unique sound equidistant from pop-rock and roots-music and he succeeded. In Dylan’s own words: "The closest I ever got to the sound I hear in my mind was on individual bands in the "Blonde on Blonde" album. It's that thin, that wild mercury sound. It's metallic and bright gold, with whatever that conjures up. That's my particular sound.”

Jackson:
If I was ranking albums on greatness instead of personal preference, this would be top-5, easily. Dylan had perfected his songwriting by this point, and his backing band never sounded quite as crisp as they do here. Some albums are accidental classics, but this one comes off as an attempt to genuinely make the greatest album of all time, and it delivers.

Rocky Raccoon:
The culmination of Dylan's plugged-in phase was truly electric as the poetry rolls off his tongue and the music mixes the traditional with the modern to create something new.

nicolas
We all have artists we don't like and there's no special sociological reason for that, it's just like that. I don't like the Smiths and i love the boss but midaso loves the Smiths and the boss, Moonbeam don't like the Beatles, Nassim has no Dylan in his lists, etc... (I know all about you now haha )

I was waiting for his albums to come but indeed I don't get Dylan at all. I have learned not to dislike him with time, but I still feel that you can not really love him if you are not into the lyrics, and most of the time 1) I don't get them 2)I don't care about them (I consider that poor lyrics can ruin a good song but that good lyrics can not save an average song). There are songs I like in Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde but nothing i can say I love, and I really can not stand Tangled Up In Blue which will probably finish in the bottom of my list for the 70s poll.

nicolas

Moonbeam and me?

David Bowie – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars (1972)

4816.82 points

AM 3000 rank : 16

Appeared on 48 ballots / 68

Fans: Honorio # 1, Chevi # 3, Romain # 3, otisredding # 4, Chris # 5, Dr Robert # 5, Jacek # 5, Beans # 6, lagire # 7, Nick # 8, pmickey # 8, Hauke # 8, Brad # 10, Miguel # 12, Alex D # 12, Nassim # 13, Henrik # 13, Jonathon # 14, snusmumrik # 14, Jon Marck # 14, Jackson # 18, Wes # 19, Mindrocker # 20

Moderator:
Bowie was the perfect transitional artist of the 70's, capable of surviving the 77 tsunami because he saw it coming. So no doubt he's so high on our lists.

Moonbeam:
The behemoth in his catalogue, Ziggy looms large as the first album in which Bowie submerged himself in a fully-formed character, all the while synthesizing traditional music structure with such subversive content. Its brilliant sequencing gives the album the feeling of an epic story, and its grandeur holds up on repeated listens.

Honorio
I can’t think of a better example of a beautifully and cleverly constructed album that my all-time favourite one, “Ziggy Stardust”. It opens with a fade-in of the drums in “Five Years” immediately setting an apocalyptic background, followed by three consecutive hymns, the 50s-flavoured “Soul Love”, the space-rock anthem “Moonage Daydream” and the delicious “Star Man”. The B-side songs focus on rock stardom, with peaks as high as “Star” (“I could play the wild mutation as a rock & roll star” ) or the mythical “Ziggy Stardust” (“He was the nazz / with God given ass, / he took it all too far / but boy could he play guitar” ). And then the grand finale with the melodramatic “Rock ’n’ Roll Suicide”. This theatrical approach to pop music was his best weapon and is what made this piece of art so unbeatable. Unbeatable? Of course, in my opinion. But it could have been even better changing the Ron Davies cover “It Ain’t Easy” for the superb “Velvet Goldmine” from the same sessions.

Jon Marck:
Ziggy played guitar and Bowie played Ziggy. Funny how he had to pretend to be a rockstar in order to write his best rock tunes. Singles "Ziggy Stardust" and "Starman" are melodramatic affairs. Stick to the hard-rock R&B of "Suffragette City", "Hang Onto Yourself" and "Moonage Daydream".

Midaso
Beatles back-to-back - great stuff. I just have to wonder why The White Album always scores so high with so many voters. It just has so many average or below-average tracks. Even 69 Love Songs has less throwaway tracks IMO...

I think The White Album scores so high precisely BECAUSE of its huge, unruly sprawl. The high points are so high that it might very well be the greatest album ever made if it were edited to a single disc; but the whole point is that this is four guys (well, two guys and change) given free rein to do whatever the hell they wanted, with the assurance that it would all go on the record(s) no matter what. Old-timey music hall ditty? Short, crude, bluesy paean to outdoor sex? Kiddie singalong about a great white hunter? Nine-minute experimental sound collage? Bring 'em all on. There's something thrilling about the whole mess, something that makes a track as formidably brilliant as "Happiness is a Warm Gun" or "I Will" stand out in sharper relief than it would on a more "disciplined" album.

Nassim
nicolas

I was waiting for his albums to come but indeed I don't get Dylan at all. I have learned not to dislike him with time, but I still feel that you can not really love him if you are not into the lyrics, and most of the time 1) I don't get them 2)I don't care about them (I consider that poor lyrics can ruin a good song but that good lyrics can not save an average song). There are songs I like in Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde but nothing i can say I love, and I really can not stand Tangled Up In Blue which will probably finish in the bottom of my list for the 70s poll.

i don't think you necessarily have to be into the lyrics to be into dylan. i think the music speaks for itself just as much if not more than his lyrics. One of my favorite songs is 'One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)' and i think that the crescendo in that song is one of my favorite things i've heard in music. besides being a terrific lyricist he was also a great composer, and that's why I like him so much.

I'm 18, love Springsteen and many of my friends do too. However, I'm not big on Dylan (no albums on my Top 100). More than an age thing, it's just a matter of personal taste.

1 2