Nine Below Zero - Online Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Road to Deal Pier

Well according to Dennis one of George Orwell's relatives was up on stage playing keyboards ( in fact he was a local teacher) so it seemed a good title especially as Deal has actually got a pier. Actually I misheard him introduced as Brian Auger so got really excited for a minute!
Electric fiddle as well - there is a real community feel at the Astor, reopened by NBZ a couple of years ago and revisited to a packed crowd Saturday night.
The support for the band was 14 year old Aaron Keylock with Sonny Greaves on drums. I wish there had been a photographer there to catch the expressions on the faces of the middle aged blokes who were watching. They were mesmerised with disbelief and probably envy. Sonny seems to be looking rather like Keith Moon. Let's hope the look is as far as it goes!
It was an amazingly long set - at least 2 hours and at the end I thought Mark was about to expire - and they kept their jackets on. Not Brendan of course but he still looked as if he was melting.
Brian has fitted back in well - different style to Gerry but I think it's a good sign when I can feel the bass in my feet and the water in my bottle vibrates. Very interesting version of "Should have left it up to you" In fact a really interesting set covering the earliest stuff to the most recent. Even the merchandise seemed to be going strong as we left with Helen and Maggie helping people into the new red t shirts.
All in all a lot more successful night than the antiques fair we went to at the same venue the morning after!
Jenny
PS Has anybody out there done the Burnley Blues festival - if so is it worth going. It's up north isn't it?

Re: The Road to Deal Pier

That's lovely Jenny. Thank you. x